Tube boost + overdrive running off a 9 volt battery

Started by dano12, December 11, 2007, 07:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renegadrian

Both methods should work fine, I am using the second one ATM when more complex pedals are made...I take a thicker wire, strip it and use it as a ground bus, as you can find on some PTP tube amps. Then I solder it between in and out and solder everything in between on it.
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

jrmcgrath13

Ooo... that's a great idea too!  Thanks for the help.  =]  I'll post my results when I finally get this thing done.

a soBer Newt

Hello all has anyone thought of using this circuit as an output section in some sort of compressor? Such as taking the envelope section of say the Clari not or something more sophisticated and then combining it with the boost section?

Renegadrian

zambo

I too have been using the ground bus wire between in and out jacks. Much cleaner and easier. I have been building little amps similar to Frequency Centrals.Mine is actualy just the power section of the firefly and a valvecaster pre running at 200 volts. If you build one of those and put the triple caster in front it is incredible.Am just now learning how to run power tubes in push pull paralel.

Hows the pedal coming along Mcgrath?
I wonder what happens if I .......

jrmcgrath13

It's coming along nicely.  I just have to finish up the grounding, install the power wiring, then figure out how to get my LED's to stay at the bottom of my tube sockets (just had the novel idea to try hot glue), and I'll be ready to fire it up for some triple valve mayhem!  I need to get it done in the next week since I'll have no time whatsoever after starting grad school on the 23rd.  =P

Quote from: zambo on August 12, 2010, 01:15:17 AM
I too have been using the ground bus wire between in and out jacks. Much cleaner and easier. I have been building little amps similar to Frequency Centrals.Mine is actualy just the power section of the firefly and a valvecaster pre running at 200 volts. If you build one of those and put the triple caster in front it is incredible.Am just now learning how to run power tubes in push pull paralel.

Hows the pedal coming along Mcgrath?

zambo

post a clip when you get it done! Good luck and get busy! :icon_mrgreen:

jrmcgrath13

Alrighty... I got it done!  Worked first time I plugged it in!  Ran at 9 volts just great!  Wanted to try it at a full 12.  Plugged in a wart that I thought was negative tipped.  Turned out it wasn't.  Fried something.  Smells bad.  Who wants to be the first at chiming on on what it was that I fried?  I'm using Renegadrain's layout with the 7812 limiter and the 100 uf cap for power, so I'm figuring it's one of those two items that's stinking up my living room like melted plastic. 

For good measure though, here's the inside and outside (minus knobs) pics.  I'll put fun lit up ones once we all figure out what I fried and I get it back up and running.  =]

zambo

well, my first guess is the 7812 and the cap on the power input if you used that. Did you put a 100uf cap from + to - on the dc in? I got my money on those two items first. imho the difference between 9 and 12 isnt all that much on this. If you are going to run a higher voltage that 9 make a multiplier and take it up to like 24 or 36. they get better mids i think. That thing looks awesome man! Nice choice of enclosures!

azrael

How much do the tubes glow in these circuits? Without an LED behind them, of course...:icon_biggrin:

Renegadrian

As in a standard Valvy, I guess it depends on the tube used - some glow more, some are barely lit...

Dongle

Hi guys!
I just started to play with tubes and tried the valvecaster. Unfortunately, it does not work. Please help...
The caster adds gain, but takes much of the loudness.
I used this layout, but did not put the volume and not the tone pot. So I also did not put C4 cap. Just wired from C3 directly to S1.
I also did not have a 50k B pot, so I put a 100k B pot instead.
I am running a 12AU7 (ECC82) with a 9v, 500mA supply.
Again the problem: The gain knob works, I get a sound out of it, but way to silent...
Any idea, where there could be the mistake?
Thanks, I really appreciate!
Dongle

EDIT: Sorry, image did not work... How do I do it?
EDIT 2: No I made it... Hope, you can help me!
Regards

Renegadrian

Hello and welcome aboard!
Glad you used my layout - so you went straight from C3 to output (this cap can be polarized or NP)
It should work good, as long as there are no other variations and no soldering errors, bridges, whatsoever...
Only thing, did you try it a 12V?! I never did, some reported it works good at 9V but I always suggest 12V. 500 mA should be enough. the 100k pot should fit the circuit without too much change...
Check your board and see if everything's all right...

Dongle

Thanks for your reply!
You run it on 12V? Your layout said 9, thats why I used it...
Is 500mA also enough if I run on 9 v or only for twelve? Do I have to adapt the circuit for 9 V?
And one last question: How can I check the circuit / which voltages should I post, that you can tell me, what might be wrong? My visual control could not find any mistakes...

I used a polarized cap for C3 and put the minus to the side of the output.. I guess, that should be fine...

Renegadrian

Yes I always use 12V. The layouts I did back then were from the original schem, which calls for 9V.
Basically, you can also apply more than 12V to the plates (pin 1 and 6) while 4 and 5 HAVE TO be ground and 12V.
(9V is fine but you give the heater less than required)
There is nothing to adapt when using one voltage or another, and yes 500mA should be fine with both voltages.
Also, if you wired C3 like THIS LAYOUT it's ok.
voltages were posted several pages back from other users. check em out!

Dongle

Hi Renegadrian!
I tried to check the voltages, but the mearsurement device is broken... I will get a new one tomorrow and post again...

Is there a possibilitiy to check if the valve is working correctly? I still think, that my circuit is correct. But still I get only a weak signal out of it. ther might be a problem with the 12AU7...

Renegadrian

You should get another tube then!!!  ;D
Well, did you break the line under C1 (e3)?!

JohnnyThrash

hey everyone, first time posting.  i had a question about this valvecaster pedal.  is there a parts listing for this thing anywhere?  thanks in advance for the help.

Renegadrian

Are you sure you read the thread^!?  :icon_eek: Or took a look in the gallery?!  :icon_eek:

Dongle

Quote from: Renegadrian on August 15, 2010, 06:45:11 PM
You should get another tube then!!!  ;D
Well, did you break the line under C1 (e3)?!

Alright... I will get another tubes. Will take some days, but probably its the only way...
Yes, I broke the line under C1.

Hey Renegadrian: Thanks a lot for being so helpful! I will try some thing in the next day and report my experience than. Don't have time to solder today, but the next days...

Thanks and regards!
Dongle