Pin 3: 0.00v
Pin 4: 0.00v
Pin 5: 12.10v
Pin 6: 3.37v
Pin 7: -0.58v
Pin 8: 0.00v
Pin 9: 6.11v
and here is the link to some pictures of inside :

http://picasaweb.google.com/fabien.lahaulle/Valvecaster?authkey=Gv1sRgCJDXm8H27IeZNg&feat=directlink

--> i have added some pictures

kaalaraab

I cann't see any error   :icon_frown: Check for ground loops, and your 3pdt wireing, post a pictur of that. I don't think having 7v on the plate would be a problem.
Born rocker, die rockstar.

fabienl

Quote from: fabienl on November 08, 2010, 03:05:38 PM
Quote from: fabienl on November 08, 2010, 02:53:08 PM
Here are my voltages :

Pin 1: 7.44v
Pin 2: -0.42v
Pin 3: 0.00v
Pin 4: 0.00v
Pin 5: 12.10v
Pin 6: 3.37v
Pin 7: -0.58v
Pin 8: 0.00v
Pin 9: 6.11v
and here is the link to some pictures of inside :

http://picasaweb.google.com/fabien.lahaulle/Valvecaster?authkey=Gv1sRgCJDXm8H27IeZNg&feat=directlink

--> i have added some pictures

--> i've added some pictures of the 3pdt and around the 3pdt

zambo

This may sound dumb but did you ground everything together including the grounds from input to output jacks? I think thats a plastic box right? The circuite looks right but its hard to tell on the 3pdt switch. I dont wire them that way.
I wonder what happens if I .......

kaalaraab

I wired 3pdt that way and it works. Just to be shure:

Lug 1 jumper to lug 2
Lug 2 jumper to lug 1
Lug 3 jumper to lug 8
Lug 4 ground
Lug 5 to input, in this case C1 I think
Lug 6 to output tip sleve
Lug 7 to led
Lug 8 to in tip sleve and jumper to lug 3
Lug 9 to volume lug 2

Astronaurt

Hey so I'm new to the Forum, I found out about the whole Matsumin Valvecaster this whole forum was initially based off of, and I really want to try out building this thing with some mods. My idea coming into this is to build a high gain Tube distortion pedal. So I've skimmed the first 15 pages trying to find inspiration, and I'm just way too impatient to read through the entire thing, so I'm sorry in advance if what I'm thinking has already been covered!!!

So I was thinking of adding a (modified) SHO circuit before the initial Tube Boost stage, running it through a 12AT7 instead of a 12AU7, and having the whole thing run on 12v DC. If anyone can tell me what I should worry about trying to do all these mods, (re-biasing the tube, how and where I should wire the SHO, how the 12AT7 will respond as opposed to AU7, etc. etc. ) that'd be great. From what I can tell, it'd be awesome, but I'm a noob when it comes to Tubes and this is gonna my first Boost/Overdrive/Distortion pedal project (although I have made a couple pedals already so I'm not completely inexperienced)

anywho, anyone's feedback would be AWESOME! thanks

Harold

Quote from: Astronaurt on November 09, 2010, 04:41:11 AManywho, anyone's feedback would be AWESOME! thanks

If I may?

Breadboard it and experiment away! There are only a few components and each component change is reflected immediately. As long as you don't put more than 12v on the heaters, (almost) nothing can go wrong!
DIY-Layout.com: Online stripboard layouts

Renegadrian

Astronaurt, welcome to the tube club!!!

Yeah someone has already experimented some of the things you say, personally I like a simple Tillman to push the Valvy, without trasforming it in a total different thing...just put it before the valvy input. An AT is a good choice, as other tubes too react well in this ckt. Basically you don't have to swap components if not to meet your needs/tastes, stock values work well wirth the above 2 modifications.
If you're after higher gain, check my tube star using the search button.
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

zambo

i am with harold on that thought. Try to build the valvecaster first then experiment with variouse boosts and distortions before and after. Hybrids can be cool. Arons Smash Drive is a cool distortion I have used with this to great effect. 12at7's are a little gritty at 12v, I have found three 12au7's in series to give pretty sweet distortion. Renegadrian has some really cool designs too! Tube Star i think is one that uses 2 12at7's. Good luck!

Renegadrian

Just one AT at slightly higher voltage (+-50V) - it can also use an AU but there's less gain.
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

Astronaurt

I'm new to the site, so Idk if I'm using the search function right! Could I get a link for the Tube Star? I'm not particularly interested in voltages above normal stomp box level, I'm building stuff so I can put on my Pedal Board and hook it up to my power brick mostly! I also just looked up the Tillman circuit cuz I hadn't heard of it before and it sounds like an idea worth checking out. If I want to adjust the gain on that though, I'm thinking I should sub a pot for either R3 or R4. Do I have the right idea there? I'm thinking off the schematic on this link:
http://www.till.com/articles/GuitarPreamp/

I think I'm going to go get components for the straight up Valvecaster this weekend after I finish my Wah Pedal I've been working on! Hopefully I can get it done soon! thanks for the input guys :) this thread is awesome as hell, I've learned SO MUCH STUFF!

Harold

Quote from: Astronaurt on November 10, 2010, 03:07:46 AM
I'm new to the site, so Idk if I'm using the search function right! Could I get a link for the Tube Star?

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=74888.0

Quote from: Astronaurt on November 10, 2010, 03:07:46 AMI'm not particularly interested in voltages above normal stomp box level, I'm building stuff so I can put on my Pedal Board and hook it up to my power brick mostly!

You can use a voltage booster inside your pedal, like this one:

http://diy-layout.com/42

Quote from: Astronaurt on November 10, 2010, 03:07:46 AMI also just looked up the Tillman circuit cuz I hadn't heard of it before and it sounds like an idea worth checking out. If I want to adjust the gain on that though, I'm thinking I should sub a pot for either R3 or R4.

I've also put the Tillman preamp in front of my ValveCaster and like it al lot! I could not get the J201 to function correctly so I replaced it with an 2N5485.

http://diy-layout.com/34

clydeshere

Hey weird question but on my sockets I cant get a 5mm LED through the middle hole? Are the people doing this pulling the metal plug? Or maybe using a 3mm LED and if it's a 3mm what would the resistor be while running at 12volts? Thanks to everyone answering question on this thread great for all us Noob tubers (hehe good name for a band)

zambo

i think its a 3mm and I use a 4.7k resistor with my led's. I dont even know why actualy, I just always have....hmmm....never tried the light in middle of tube trick. Post pics when done if you would! Greg

clydeshere

theres pics on this thread around page 70 or so I think lol I'm gonna go a different way because I want the  tube flat in the box so i can actually have it on my board without having to worry that much.

kaalaraab

I used a 3mm led with a 1k resistor, 4.7k makes it less shinny. It fits well in the socket.

clydeshere

Am i the only one that cant see these DIY-layout pics? I'm probably doing something wrong but I'm interested in that voltage booster?

Harold

Quote from: clydeshere on November 11, 2010, 09:33:55 AM
Am i the only one that cant see these DIY-layout pics? I'm probably doing something wrong but I'm interested in that voltage booster?

Hmmm, that's weird. I never heard that before... Are they also invisable on the project's page? http://diy-layout.com/42

clydeshere

I cant even get that page to load for some reason?

clydeshere

Anyone know of a page on here that has a voltage booster 9 volt to 12 volt?