Tube boost + overdrive running off a 9 volt battery

Started by dano12, December 11, 2007, 07:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harold

Quote from: clydeshere on November 11, 2010, 10:05:45 AM
Anyone know of a page on here that has a voltage booster 9 volt to 12 volt?

You could boost 9v to 18v and regulate it to 12v. But... It'll only handle 50-100mA so it won't be able to supply enough power to the heaters...
DIY-Layout.com: Online stripboard layouts

Harold

Quote from: clydeshere on November 11, 2010, 10:04:18 AM
I cant even get that page to load for some reason?

Even stranger!  ???

Does anybody else have the same problem?

kaalaraab

My browser loaded it just fine. I'm sure I lost the information somewhere, so, can any bady give here what kind of diodes, caps and IC are use on this voltage booster?
Born rocker, die rockstar.

Harold

Quote from: kaalaraab on November 11, 2010, 12:12:22 PM
My browser loaded it just fine. I'm sure I lost the information somewhere, so, can any bady give here what kind of diodes, caps and IC are use on this voltage booster?

They are on the "Bill of materials" (BOM) tab on the project page?

Crusty_Old_Rocker

Hi there,

Nooby here.  I have a lot of digital gear and in contrast to that I have built some sweet valve amps.  I want to build a dual Valvecaster to go in front of my valve amps to stay 100% analogue, but it appears the layout pictures for the dual valvecaster have vanished.  I could design a dual based on the single, but I'm feeling a bit lazy and would like to just build the project without having to do any thinking.   :icon_smile:

Could someone please post a layout diagram for a working dual Valvecaster?

Thanks,

Crusty

kaalaraab

You can try must trusted Renegadrian's layout http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/Renegadrian/Twincaster+rev+0_11.jpg
or point to point triplecaster layout by jrmcgrath13, just let out the third valvy.

Quote from: jrmcgrath13 on October 05, 2010, 12:18:20 AM
Here's my layout that I made when I built my triplecaster: http://jrmcgrath.com/images/triple%20valvecaster.jpg.

It's not the most "proper" of layouts, but it worked.  =]  I think I have the resistor on the master bypass LED on the wrong lead though.

bassmannate

Alright! I got my valvecaster working nice and quiet from a wall wart! I still have some loose off-board wiring connections though that I need to figure out. And one strange thing I didn't expect...My 12v regulator is putting out 9.4v   ??? Am I supposed to have MORE than 12v going in to get it to give me 12v out?

sundgist

Quote from: bassmannate on November 14, 2010, 09:34:47 AM
Alright! I got my valvecaster working nice and quiet from a wall wart! I still have some loose off-board wiring connections though that I need to figure out. And one strange thing I didn't expect...My 12v regulator is putting out 9.4v   ??? Am I supposed to have MORE than 12v going in to get it to give me 12v out?

Yes, 1.5v to 3v more.
If you're using a regulated 12v wall wart try without the regulator. Might be good enough, as long as it's rated to put out enough current.

bassmannate

Quote from: sundgist on November 14, 2010, 12:56:15 PM
Quote from: bassmannate on November 14, 2010, 09:34:47 AM

Yes, 1.5v to 3v more.
If you're using a regulated 12v wall wart try without the regulator. Might be good enough, as long as it's rated to put out enough current.

Hmmm...Ok. I have a 12v OneSpot that I had issues with hiss on my last attempt. It's supposed to be regulated, right? Maybe I'll try it again without the regulator chip. I have a universal power adapter that puts out about 15v at the 12v position but it only gives me about 300ma of current which as I recall is the minimum requirement to just run the heater.

zambo

if you are running 9 or 12 vdc to the heaters it only pulls 150 ma I hear. If you run 6.3 ac to the heaters 4and 5 and groun 9 it pulls 300ma. So if you got 9 vdc to heaters a 200ma walwart will power the single valvecaster. Hope that makes sense and double check the info but I think its right.
I wonder what happens if I .......

clydeshere

I'm having a problem getting this to run on 12 volts? I have a voodoo lab pedal power 2 plus that has two channels that can run at 12 volts 400 ma. when I'm on 9 volts its sounds great when I switch to the 12 volts there is a loud ringing actually some were between a ring and a hum lol. I'm guessing that the 12 volts is regulated since the rest of the power source  is.
Is there anything you need to change in then pedal when you switch to 12 volts?
believe it or not I accedentally had the pedal plugged into a 12 volt AC adapter and it sounded great but had allot of buzz?

zambo

WOW :o it worked on 12 ac!? weird to be sure! I dont know about the voodoo labs supplies but 12.6 volts regulated should be fine. Nothing has to change. Did you try backing off the gain and volume a bit? Mine sound the best with gain at about 3 o clock and volume just past unity gain. Past that they can start ringing or comptressing in an unpleasnt way but usualy just compressing. How are your heaters wired up?

zambo

also did you put a cap across the dc input + - ? I know all my stuff sounds like S@#$ and then i go ..Oh yeah that cap.....

clydeshere

Yah I had the cap across then took it off when I had it on 9 volts I don't know im gonna build the dual caster and try to run that at 12 volts. And its a loud ring IDK ill try to lower the gain but I like the gain lol.

demym

Harold, have seen your voltage booster on diy-layout.... but... what is the IC ? i can't read it anywhere...

Thanks

kaalaraab

Quote from: demym on November 18, 2010, 12:08:37 PM
Harold, have seen your voltage booster on diy-layout.... but... what is the IC ? i can't read it anywhere...

Thanks

As Harold already told me, it is in the BOM section. The IC is MAX/LTC1044

Haynesarama

Hello everyone.  :)
I've been Reading this for what seems like an age now and have
finally got around to building the ValveCaster!!
Thanks everyone for putting all this together!! It's made the cold wet days
of North East England not so bleak. Lol!!  Thank you all so much.
First time switching it on and it works. Yay!!  Very nice sound indeed although it's about
the same volume maxed as it is when bypassed.
I'm running it at 9v at the moment until I get more time tomorrow to
change it to the 12v regulated supply. I'm also using an Electro Harmnoix 12ax7 as
the 12au7 I bought from evilbay is a dud.
I know I've probably read the answer back somwhere on page 12  :icon_biggrin: but I was wondering how much of a
different beastie will it be with the 12v supply and the 12au7?
Thanks again everyone  ;D

zambo

the 12au7 has a much more useable sound to my ears. Warmer and smoother definatley. 12 volts should give you a bit more volume. 12au7 will have more volume as wel, less grit though usualy. 12ax7 doesnt even work in this circuite sometimes. Some do some dont. Congrats on your first time success and welcome to the forum! Greg

Renegadrian

Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!