Tube boost + overdrive running off a 9 volt battery

Started by dano12, December 11, 2007, 07:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frequencycentral

http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

clydeshere

Yah put the buffer before the valve.
And yes some were on here someone suggested to put all the capacitors and half what they are in original schematic of the valvecaster.

im still gonna try some other buffers he has on that same site and also maybe try the fuzz face tone circuit he has on there.
I think were looking for same thing a smooth over drive so I'll let you know what i come up with.

kaalaraab

Ok, thanks. Zambo told me abut using Aaron's Smash Drive. I did it and the result was great, but no what I'm looking for. Its a change from natural valvy overdrive to a really hard but warm distortion. I'll try to post soundclips latter.
Born rocker, die rockstar.

Renegadrian

Yeah Rick, do you remember when it started?! It was just 3 or 4 readers/posters...now it is so popular, its name has spread here and on the net...Nice memories!
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

kaalaraab

Too bad I get here too late. I had to read (and I did it) about 90 pages before start my own Valvy. On the other hand, I learned a lot.  :icon_biggrin:

clydeshere

Here's the page with the caps to replace
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=63479.1100

I do think it sounds better but i still cant use my neck pickup with either valvecaster or bi caster and it's driving me nuts.

Renegadrian

another tube project, I don't know that much about it but it's good to have another schem...

Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

dano12

Quote from: frequencycentral on December 06, 2010, 05:20:51 PM
Page 100!

Oh, the insanity of it all!

I haven't had time to peruse through the latest  50 pages, so a question: has anyone modded this circuit to act as a simple buffer?

clydeshere

Lol speaking of buffers I've been going through the ones on your site and I like the sound of this one

At 12 volts it really pushes the circuit. even a little to far lol. Is that vBias a way to control to outgoing volume???

clydeshere

Ok so I think I got it i'll try to draw a schematic later but probably wont have time today plus my computer doesnt seem to like schematic programs.
I'm using this schematic for the twincaster( I've been calling it Bicaster lol)

replace both C2's with .022uf's

then also put this buffer in front of the circuit

Sounds great with my humbuckers and my strat that has really picky blues pickups in it.

clydeshere

HAHA Did I kill the thread???????????

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

karter2000

Quote from: clydeshere on December 14, 2010, 09:29:27 AM
HAHA Did I kill the thread???????????

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Of course not!  I actually want to try building your twincaster with the buffer.  I've built a single valvecaster and I love it.  I tried it with the buffers, and it sounds great.  However, I'm using it with bass, so I'm trying to tighten things up while increasing the gain.  Not there yet, but I think I'm close.  I think I need to lower the caps as suggested.

zambo

I have lowered the caps to .001uf and .002uf . they seem to help tame some of the fizzy that happens when making 2 and 3 tube versions of this. Upping the volts on the plates is good to. adds more to the mids IMHO.
I wonder what happens if I .......

bassmannate

Just thought I would post this. It's a PCB layout for a valvecaster using a PCB mounted socket. Feel free to critique it as it's my first layout ever!

I wanted to post a transfer but I can't figure out how to get Eagle to export in actual size. I have a PDF printout but I can't post that to Picasa. I may still change a few things like hole and pad sizes since they seem a bit small.

paulyy

Quote from: clydeshere on December 09, 2010, 09:41:11 AM
Ok so I think I got it i'll try to draw a schematic later but probably wont have time today plus my computer doesnt seem to like schematic programs.
I'm using this schematic for the twincaster( I've been calling it Bicaster lol)

Sounds great with my humbuckers and my strat that has really picky blues pickups in it.

I built a twincaster awhile ago and started to mess with it again. For the most part its stock except for the input caps and both R2's are 1meg running on 9V's. Sounds great but I want to see if I can get more out of it. I was wondering does the buffer start at the input or output of the valvcaster? Just wondering.
Im also thinking of building a triple or quad valvcaster running on 9V. Has anybody built a quadcaster? Zambo?

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: clydeshere on December 09, 2010, 09:41:11 AM

Just getting into the tube based OD/Distortion realm and I really like this schematic. I have a question though.

Wouldn't it be better to run this at 12V? It would increase the headroom (all be it at only 3 V more!!) but more importantly.... it would give the tube heaters the 12V that they are spec'd for.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

kaalaraab

Quote from: clydeshere on December 08, 2010, 05:36:57 PM
At 12 volts it really pushes the circuit. even a little to far lol. Is that vBias a way to control to outgoing volume???

Could it be done by using a 100k pot after the output capacitor?

bassmannate

Quote from: kaalaraab on December 17, 2010, 01:29:21 AM
Quote from: clydeshere on December 08, 2010, 05:36:57 PM

Could it be done by using a 100k pot after the output capacitor?

I run mine at 12v. It gives you a bit more headroom. You can run it at 12v just as the schematic shows.

kaalaraab

yeah, 12v are the right voltage, I'm looking a way to control the outgoing volume.

bassmannate