Will my LED status ground wire add noise to my fx s/r wires?

Started by sjaltenb, December 12, 2007, 03:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjaltenb

for my cornish style board its basically just a huge true bypass strip. So to go to each board and LED indicator i twisted 3 (24ga) wires together for FX in, Ground for LED, and FX out from the 3PDT up to wherever in my board the PCB is.

I know that grounds can add a lot of noise and i am working very hard to keep all the grounds away from any signal wire, but it just occured to me that i have run all these clusters with the LED ground in it..... Should I run these seperate??

heres a pic to better understand what im talking about.
This is a picture of the ground bus i made for for all the 3PDTs, i tried to keep them as far away from the signal as possible and nice and neat

This is how i ran wires to each PCB:

the 3 wires are hte FX s/r/ground for LED

Let me know if you really think I should Rewire all this...i really dont want to. I guess i could use shielded wire for the S/R instead and leave the ground as is....

Let me know ! THanks

darron

even if you use shielded wire, where are you going to hook the shielding up to? it will connect to ground, thereby running a large wrapping of ground right beside your audio lines. ground runs fairly close in all instrument cables too. i don't think should induce noise. i'll watch this topic with interest though.
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

Processaurus

Quote from: sjaltenb on December 12, 2007, 03:44:58 PM
I know that grounds can add a lot of noise and i am working very hard to keep all the grounds away from any signal wire,

Sorry, that is exact opposite of the truth.  In electronics the more grounded metal you have around your signal wires, the less they are prone to pick up noise.  That's why guitar cables have your signal surrounded in a tube of braided wire, rather than the signal wire going straight to an amp and the ground going around the other side of the room. 

Professional PCBs often have a "ground plane" which is a grounded copper layer on the top or bottom of a pcb that helps reduce noise.

Really impressive project, by the way, I'd love to see pictures of it when it gets finished.

sjaltenb

Thanks.

I just finished wiring the AC 120 bus to distribute power to each transformer. Looking to make a lot of progress tonight. Still waiting on a lot of stuff to come it, its really slowing me down.