GGG ITS8: Question on adding MOSFETs - using Beavis' diagram

Started by dap9, December 12, 2007, 08:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dap9

Hey all,  I have my ITS8 kit and I'm trying to figure out how to add MOSFETs instead of either the diode or LED clipping options (I haven't decided which one I want to keep). 

I'm looking at Dan-O's diagram http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/FKR/images/MightierMouse.gif and I understand it for the BYOC kits, but the GGG kits have the mod built in and I don't know how to do what I want to do.

Thanks in advance.

dano12

A quick look at the GGG ITS8 pcb shows the position of the clipping diodes (silicon and LEDs).

The easiest way to do this would be to choose which clippers on the board you want to get rid of. For example, remove the D1,D2 clippers to put the mosfets in place of the stock silicon diodes.

So...you would desolder the diodes, and run two new wires from the board, one to each side where the diode ends used to be. Look at the PCB and you'll see that each pair of ends is on a connected set of pads, hence only two wires.

Then run those new wires to the mostfets. Jam it in the enclosure, perhaps insulating the new MOSFET assembly with heat shrink tubing or electrical tape, and now the switch that use to go stock clipping will go to the mosfets.

dap9

Quote from: dano12 on December 13, 2007, 08:58:57 AM
A quick look at the GGG ITS8 pcb shows the position of the clipping diodes (silicon and LEDs).

The easiest way to do this would be to choose which clippers on the board you want to get rid of. For example, remove the D1,D2 clippers to put the mosfets in place of the stock silicon diodes.

So...you would desolder the diodes, and run two new wires from the board, one to each side where the diode ends used to be. Look at the PCB and you'll see that each pair of ends is on a connected set of pads, hence only two wires.

Then run those new wires to the mostfets. Jam it in the enclosure, perhaps insulating the new MOSFET assembly with heat shrink tubing or electrical tape, and now the switch that use to go stock clipping will go to the mosfets.

Thanks a lot Dan-o.  I'll let you know how it goes.