News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Just an idea.

Started by jpm83, December 13, 2007, 08:30:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpm83

I was thinking if it would be possible to make that kind of runoffgroove tube to FET adaptation on 7ender standalone tube spring reverb?

Janne

jpm83

jpm83

Nobody interrested on this one???

John Lyons

Not what you are asking for but here is one. http://sound.westhost.com/project34.htm

It would be possible to make a tube to FET reverb I think...

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Gus

Yes one can make a fet  reverb (jfet and power mosfet)I would use a SE power mosfet drive for the transformer.

Things to think about gain vs headroom?
Drive to the coil?
What power supply voltage for the unit?

jpm83

Thanks for the link. I think you could use the Reverb Input Transducer Drive Amp from that site in this project to ease things up a bit.I started to make a some kind of schemo  and here is it

jpm83

Should I continue to desing this or was my idea dead as it was born. And thanks for replies.

Krinor

Quote from: jpm83 on December 13, 2007, 12:23:49 PM
Should I continue to desing this or was my idea dead as it was born. And thanks for replies.

Please do. And be sure to post your results.  :icon_wink:

dano12

Quote from: Krinor on December 13, 2007, 02:26:22 PM
Quote from: jpm83 on December 13, 2007, 12:23:49 PM

Please do. And be sure to post your results.  :icon_wink:

Yes, a clips and photoessay would be great. Thanks.

jpm83

O.K here is a schematic   Could someone check it for any obvious mistakes and tell me what do you think about it.

Janne

jpm83

Mark Hammer

My first instinct is to say don't waste your time.  There are a number of reasons why I say this.

• The reverb circuit is not about distortion, where many of the ROG emulations are intended to achieve the unique distortion qualities of various amplifiers.
  • FET front-ends are great for when you want to be assured that you hang onto all that wonderful top end of your single-coils.  Have your heard what comes out of a reverb pan?  No top in there at all.  Why struggle to preserve it?
  • The key part of the Fender circuit and circuits like it is delivering a high enough current to the springs.  The 6K6 is an output tube, similar to a 6V6.  This is why the preliminary circuits posted here have used a 386 power-amp chip (though there are better circuits).  Once you opt for using a power-amp chip, the FET-for-a-tube strategy, so useful in the various ROG circuits, is essentially sidelined.

Though I suppose there are things like headroom and such, in the final analysis, the input signal toneshaping and the springs themselves are such huge determinants of the reverb tone, that whether you use tubes, FETs, or clothespins and masking tape is really immaterial.

My advice: pick a known working reverb circuit, drop a few extra bucks on a long 6-spring pan, and spend your time playing with the tone shaping cap values rather than trying to reinvent the wheel.

jpm83

Quote from: Mark Hammer on December 13, 2007, 05:46:01 PM
My first instinct is to say don't waste your time.  There are a number of reasons why I say this.

• The reverb circuit is not about distortion, where many of the ROG emulations are intended to achieve the unique distortion qualities of various amplifiers.
  • FET front-ends are great for when you want to be assured that you hang onto all that wonderful top end of your single-coils.  Have your heard what comes out of a reverb pan?  No top in there at all.  Why struggle to preserve it?
  • The key part of the Fender circuit and circuits like it is delivering a high enough current to the springs.  The 6K6 is an output tube, similar to a 6V6.  This is why the preliminary circuits posted here have used a 386 power-amp chip (though there are better circuits).  Once you opt for using a power-amp chip, the FET-for-a-tube strategy, so useful in the various ROG circuits, is essentially sidelined.

Though I suppose there are things like headroom and such, in the final analysis, the input signal toneshaping and the springs themselves are such huge determinants of the reverb tone, that whether you use tubes, FETs, or clothespins and masking tape is really immaterial.

My advice: pick a known working reverb circuit, drop a few extra bucks on a long 6-spring pan, and spend your time playing with the tone shaping cap values rather than trying to reinvent the wheel.
Thanks Mark for that info. I Was planning this because reverb in my amp (Randall RG50TC) really sucks. Is that ggg stage center reverb how good and what it sounds like? And is there sound clips of stage center reverb anywhere?

Janne