My Overdrive: Samples and a "Buzz/Fart" Question (Again)

Started by railhead, December 15, 2007, 05:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PerroGrande

yeah -- making "bigger" changes probably will work out best on a breadboard.   ;D

Caferacernoc

After listening to the clips at the start of this post, I agree with some others here that the fuzz/fart sound is the transistor hard clipping and overriding the nice sound of you diode to ground distortion. You need to lower the gain of the transistor.

ayayay!

I really like the soundclips and the design of this circuit, so please be sure to update us when you get it fixed.  I agree, it does sound like the transistor is clipping too hard.  But I'm curious, the cap across the diodes didn't clean it up?  Or it did but took out too much bass?  I'm missing something.

Anyway, fun thread.  Don't forget about this project, and post some new clips!  Thanks! 
The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

railhead

Yes, I'm still working on it -- but the Holidays slowed me down. My plan is to breadboard this (I've never breadboarded anything like this, so it may take a while) so that I can better make changes as needed before committing to a PCB.

I'll keep this thread alive, though!

rackham

mnordbye

Nice sound samples, love the tone!

And i'm also interested in what program you use to draw the schem. What's it called?

Magnus N
General tone addict
Deaf Audio at Facebook

railhead

Sorry I've eft this one hanging -- I had a few other projects to get off the ground, and I'm about to crack this one open again. I'm going to be focusing on this as a priority, so stay tuned!

railhead

Eagle CAD: http://cadsoft.de/

It looks like a scary app, but once you get the hang of it, it's easy. :)

Quote from: mnordbye on January 11, 2008, 06:00:27 PM
Nice sound samples, love the tone!

And i'm also interested in what program you use to draw the schem. What's it called?

Magnus N

disto

think i remember hearing this a while ago, should be interesting to hear the final result. i know the feeling with starting something and then putting it off. ive just come back to a switcher after almost a year, damn popping noise...

i havnt used eagle doesnt it allow you to draw the PCB aswell? most recently ive been using xcircuit, its not too bad can be a bit of a pain to begin with but you get use to it. its freeware which im not sure eagle is, and linux based i think so linux users might not find it so difficult.

frequencycentral

Quote from: Isaiah on December 17, 2007, 01:36:27 PM
Yeah, leave C2 where it is.
C3 is just where it needs to be as well.
Looks like it should work really well!

Hey Isaiah - I'm in Coventry UK too!!
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

railhead

Eagle is free, works for Mac, Win, and Linux, and also generates PCB layouts. :)

disto

Quote from: railhead on May 31, 2008, 08:22:03 AM
Eagle is free, works for Mac, Win, and Linux, and also generates PCB layouts. :)
sounds like a good one, i might have to try it