3 knob, simple overdrive circuit to build?

Started by pott, January 07, 2008, 11:36:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pott

Well I have a 3 knob box for a circuit I started which should be finished soon, but I feel I need another sound...

So I'm looking for a very thick, simple OD circuit to build, that's got three knobs (or heck I can add a tone control after all). NOTHING tube screamer like (thin, brittle, nasal... eh..) or with that mid hump please hehe... I just would like a thick, med to high gain overdrive sound basically.

Thanks if you can help!

wampcat1

I would check out the ROG stuff - some awesome tones there. Or, do a od250/distortion plus circuit but add a tone control. That would be a very simple build.
:)
bw

Dragonfly

snoof

wampcat1

mnordbye

The bluesbreaker get my vote too! Also, much of the ROG stuff sounds cool (according to the sound samples there).

Magnus N
General tone addict
Deaf Audio at Facebook

Krinor

I know you didn't want that screamer tone, but why don't you just do an ordinary Tube Screamer with the AMZ fat mod ? If you complete the thing with LED clippers you'll have a fat and punchy little bastard.  :icon_twisted:

drewl

I built an MXR micro amp and Distortion+ in one box, switchable between the two with a 4558 that just kills the originals by tweeking some of the values.
It goes from slight overdrive to thick meaty distortion with the push of a switch.

pott

I dislike pretty much all these sounds  :icon_lol: As for the BB, could be a good idea but Marshall pedals are cheap here in the UK, and the stock one is buffered which is better for me. I'd rather build something rather simple, that's not available stock. Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Dragonfly

Quote from: pott on January 08, 2008, 06:50:33 AM
I dislike pretty much all these sounds ...

Thats why you "DIY" them...so you can make alterations and customize them for your rig and playing style... :)

Dragonfly

Oh...and you might look at Doug Hammonds "Highway 89"as well ...

foxfire

how about the colorsound overdriver? it's fairly simple and super thick.