playing through headphones

Started by km-r, January 07, 2008, 10:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

km-r

i usually practice at night so id needed to do it using headphones...
i built the ruby amp from ROG [386].
so my set-up si
dr boogey -> condor -> ruby -> headphones

the sound through my headphone is horrible! its like an uber trebbly harsh[ear piercing!] and [slightly]distorted even when running clean.
its like it's introducing its own distortion...
ive incorporated the ruby in my cab sim and plugged it direct to an amp, it sounded fine. very clean...

how do i correct the sound comming from my headphones?
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar.  If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

Barcode80

you have to simulate a speaker load when you use headphones. otherwise the signal will likely fry your headphones, but not before rendering you partially deaf! if you look on the ggg website there is a wiring diagram that shows how/what value resistor, etc.

ncc

I tried something similar recently and had the same results.
I also tried connecting the headphones to the condor directly and
the sound was not as bad but then you don't get  as much gain.

Could the signal out of the condor be increased just for headphone levels
with a transistor(regular ot jFet)  or two?
(instead of the full Ruby circuit)

Norm

Papa_lazerous

I find even using a proper phones out socket on an amp, that headphones are quite tiring to the ears and have nothing like the frequency response to 12" speaker  lol  I play at night at weekends and at 6am when I get home from work.  I play through my 1x12 cab.  the trick??  An attenuator.......its quiet enough it wont be heard by anyone and more pleasing to the ears than headphones.  infact I would say strumming an electric un-plugged would make more noise

George Giblet

What headphones are you using?  What impedance?

If you want it to sound right you need a *clean* headphone amplifier - that's going to mean a higher supply voltage to the headphone amplifier, for example

http://www.cafewalter.com/ha1/index.htm

If you are using the ruby to the get some of your tone then you will need to connect it up like this,

dr boogey -> ruby -> condor -> clean headphone amp -> headphones

I'm assuming you are using the condor as the speaker sim.

Barcode80

ggg also has a good headphone amp.