Show me your 1590A enclosures/pedals...

Started by andrew_k, January 29, 2008, 09:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tranceracer

Quote from: solderman on June 02, 2009, 03:07:56 PM
Quote from: Valoosj on June 02, 2009, 08:41:23 AM
The chorus finally got painted. Added a decal and this is the result.

Fabulous pain job. But it looks kind of empty  :icon_question:

BTW my family says hallo  ;D

Nice design! 

Here's a tip for getting crisp lines:
After you lay the tape down, touch the edges of the tape with white paint to "fill" the micro gaps under the tape edge.  Then coat with the blue.  When you peel the tape off you should have a nice clean line. 

This is a technique we used from my tennis court resurfacing days to get those sharp boundary lines..  It's funny because now when I see any tennis court the first thing I look at are the lines.  ;)

solderman

Quote from: tranceracer on June 03, 2009, 02:51:51 PM
Quote from: solderman on June 02, 2009, 03:07:56 PM
Quote from: Valoosj on June 02, 2009, 08:41:23 AM
The chorus finally got painted. Added a decal and this is the result.

Fabulous pain job. But it looks kind of empty  :icon_question:

BTW my family says hallo  ;D

Nice design! 

Here's a tip for getting crisp lines:
After you lay the tape down, touch the edges of the tape with white paint to "fill" the micro gaps under the tape edge.  Then coat with the blue.  When you peel the tape off you should have a nice clean line. 

This is a technique we used from my tennis court resurfacing days to get those sharp boundary lines..  It's funny because now when I see any tennis court the first thing I look at are the lines.  ;)

I thing the lines actually looks better the way they do. To sharp lines makes a too sterile look IMO. This is more "arty" but thanks for the tip anyway. It will come in handy when a sharp line is needed.
The only bad sounding stomp box is an unbuilt stomp box. ;-)
//Take Care and build with passion

www.soldersound.com
xSolderman@soldersound.com (exlude x to mail)

deeleyer

Quote from: elshiftos on May 30, 2009, 11:30:41 AM
EA tremolo with a few minor mods to suit the components I had to hand.
It's been a while since I designed a PCB layout and to be honest, I was inspired by the other designs on here that put as much as possible on the board. IMHO it really is the way to go if you have board making equipment to hand.
Measuring the drill hole positions was a bit of a challenge, but I was lucky and everything fitted ok, apart from the pot holes which required filing. If anyone has any tips on accurate hole placement, I would really like to hear them! :)

I liked this tiny jacks, where do you get them?

elshiftos

Quote from: deeleyer on June 04, 2009, 05:27:44 AM

I liked this tiny jacks, where do you get them?

Heh, I was waiting for someone to ask that question :)
I got them from cpc which is a supplier here in the UK. They are stereo, but I pulled the extra 'ring' connection off because I didn't need power switching and it gave me more space.
Not sure how much abuse they will take as they are a bit plasticy and cheap!

Valoosj

I couldn't resist finishing it!

Btw, Solderman you have P.M.
Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

German

MXR Dist+

Guts.. Messy.. sorry, I didnt expected to put dist+ inside..

kender

hey German is that a blank PCB enclosure?  :o

fuzzo

No one asks but where we put the battery ? ??? :D

(Anyway, Who use battery in 2009 ::))

Taylor

Batteries are bad news, man. For pedals, they're mostly unusable once they drop to about 7 or 8 volts, so we end up throwing away not only the metal and acid, but 80% of the energy in them. I never use batteries even in big effects that could easily fit them. For my bass, which uses 2 9 volts, I use rechargeables charged by a solar charger.

I'm not rich enough to do every energy-saving thing possible, but this is a really easy and cheap way to do a good thing.

German

kender, yes it is.
I like to build completely from the scratch.
Box is Hammond's copy in size, but it has more space inside, becose blank pcb is tighter than aluminium box side.

And it may only look like it's easy to destroy - trust me - I could stand on it - 65kg weight.
And to paint it - blank pcb win! Metal encosures are more harder in preparation to paint.

This one is not painted, becose I really like the color of pcb

earthtonesaudio

Quote from: Taylor on June 08, 2009, 08:07:16 PM
Batteries are bad news, man. For pedals, they're mostly unusable once they drop to about 7 or 8 volts, so we end up throwing away not only the metal and acid, but 80% of the energy in them. I never use batteries even in big effects that could easily fit them. For my bass, which uses 2 9 volts, I use rechargeables charged by a solar charger.

I'm not rich enough to do every energy-saving thing possible, but this is a really easy and cheap way to do a good thing.

Amen to that!

juse

A battery is the cleanest & quietest power supply available - pure DC without the line noise of AC to DC adapters. Wall warts must filter all kinds of crap out of the incoming AC, and few of them do it well. Then throw in voltage spikes/fluctuations and poorly regulated adapters that are actually providing a higher voltage than stated, and your circuit can get hammered.

That being said, though, I still prefer to use AC adapters.  :icon_biggrin:

But, NiMh rechargables with the highest amp rating will last longer than regular batteries and because they do not have cadmium in them, are a lot greener as well.

solderman

This is the Donkey Kong. It's got it's named since I think it sounds close to the famous VIC 64 and arcade game Donkey Kong. It was a real challenge to wire up all the switches and an even more challenging task to tighten the nuts. The notion that the nuts were bigger than the switch diameter did not cross my mind until it was too late. This little bugger is some thing extra when it comes to sound. It sounds more like a synth than a guitar effect. It sounds really wacky. Basically this is the Slactave MKII (thank a mil slacker) but instead of the mix pot and the Oct up pot, all selections are made by one On/off/on switch and 3 on/off switches. IMO I like to turn off the fuzz and only use the square wave to produce clean 1-4 oct down and 1 oct up and mix between them. I also used the LED that flashes faster the higher the pitch of the original tone is. The different sounds are

First switch Fuzz On/Off
Second switch  1 oct down- Off-2 oct down
Third   switch  3 and 4 the switch down depending on the setting of switch two
Forth switch 1 oct down On/Off   

Here are some sound samples. The first is my favourite
(My favorite combo) 3 oct down+one oct up+Phaser45+Chorus http://solderman.fatabur.se/Donkey_Kong/DK chorus_ph45_3 oct down and 1oct up.mp3
3 oct down+one oct up http://solderman.fatabur.se/Donkey_Kong/DK_3%20oct%20down%20and%201oct%20up.mp3
1 oct down http://solderman.fatabur.se/Donkey_Kong/DK_1_oct%20down.mp3
2 oct down http://solderman.fatabur.se/Donkey_Kong/DK_2_oct%20down.mp3
3 oct down http://solderman.fatabur.se/Donkey_Kong/DK_3_oct%20down.mp3
4 oct down http://solderman.fatabur.se/Donkey_Kong/DK_4_oct%20down.mp3
1 oct up http://solderman.fatabur.se/Donkey_Kong/DK_1_oct%20up.mp3
Only Fuzz http://solderman.fatabur.se/Donkey_Kong/DK_Fuzz%20only.mp3

And here is some pics.

//Solderman

www.soldersound.com

slacker

Nice work, that looks and sounds great.

ConanB

Quote from: solderman on June 14, 2009, 03:21:36 PM
This is the Donkey Kong. It's got it's named since I think it sounds close to the famous VIC 64 and arcade game Donkey Kong. It was a real challenge to wire up all the switches and an even more challenging task to tighten the nuts. The notion that the nuts were bigger than the switch diameter did not cross my mind until it was too late. This little bugger is some thing extra when it comes to sound. It sounds more like a synth than a guitar effect. It sounds really wacky. Basically this is the Slactave MKII (thank a mil slacker) but instead of the mix pot and the Oct up pot, all selections are made by one On/off/on switch and 3 on/off switches. IMO I like to turn off the fuzz and only use the square wave to produce clean 1-4 oct down and 1 oct up and mix between them. I also used the LED that flashes faster the higher the pitch of the original tone is. The different sounds are

First switch Fuzz On/Off

//Solderman

Happen to have a schem for that baby? Or even a slacktave schem with the modifications drawn up? Or is it literally just replacing the pots with switches?

Conan.

solderman

Quote from: ConanB on June 15, 2009, 12:23:00 AM
Quote from: solderman on June 14, 2009, 03:21:36 PM

First switch Fuzz On/Off

//Solderman

Happen to have a schem for that baby? Or even a slacktave schem with the modifications drawn up? Or is it literally just replacing the pots with switches?

Conan.

The original slacktave MKII shem is here http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=76695.msg627481#msg627481

The mods I have done is
Remove the MIX pot
insert one on/off switch between the Octave down select and the 220 Cap
Insert a on/off switch between the 100n cap and the out from the comparator
Use a on-off-on switch as described for oct down
Insert a on/offswitch from Pin 9 on the 4024 to the center of the on-of-on switch (adds an octave)
Removed and supst the Oct up pot with a on/off switch
Raised the 15K on op amp 1 to 33K (for better responce)
Raised the 120k on the last Op amp to 160 (for better responce)
Used a 100K log for Vol (better handling)
Subst the 5k1 for a 4K7 (did not have a 5K1)
Used TL072 (I think)
//Solderman

PS. I will update my site with a project file as soon as I finde time

www.soldersound.com

gena_p1

Big Muffs for me (black rus in waterproof kind of 1590A), green big muff and phase90 (test ver) for my niece :)

No film caps, but pcb is analog, and rescalable in corel draw to put film caps in :)

Magenta and white are 1-line looper and MosFET booster done by my friend Shift. And red is RAT copy (this one in mxr-like enclosure)

solderman

Quote from: gena_p1 on June 22, 2009, 05:59:30 PM

Big Muffs for me (black rus in waterproof kind of 1590A), green big muff and phase90 (test ver) for my niece :)

No film caps, but pcb is analog, and rescalable in corel draw to put film caps in :)
Nice build
You have used those jacks that I'm about to order. They are the smallest I've yet have found. Whats your opinion about them??

www.soldersound.com

solderman

When I think about Envelope Filters I think about funk. And when I think about funk the first thing that comes to my mind is Bootsy Collins and his Bootsy's Rubber Band and Parliament-Funkadelic together with George Clinton . This man is something extra. Both his music and his appearance leave no one untouched. This man IS groove impersonated. So I thought that pink would be an appropriate color for the Q-Wha  Envelope filter. It's based on the ROG Nurse Quacky

Sound Sample
http://solderman.fatabur.se/Q-wha/Q-Wha.mp3

Project file and PCB
http://solderman.fatabur.se/Q-wha/Q-Wha.pdf
http://solderman.fatabur.se/Q-wha/Q-Wha_PCB.pdf

The Man the myth the concept

www.soldersound.com

gena_p1

Quote from: solderman on June 22, 2009, 06:05:53 PM
Quote from: gena_p1 on June 22, 2009, 05:59:30 PM

Nice build
You have used those jacks that I'm about to order. They are the smallest I've yet have found. Whats your opinion about them??

Now i think they're crap. Bad shallow screw-thread, needs in bigger holes to put em (coz of putting inside under angle, low space), etc. But one year ago i didn't have another idea how to save space.

That kind of platform is much better, i'm sured.