What are todays alternative to Tropical Fish caps

Started by chrisguitars, February 02, 2008, 10:58:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisguitars

I am working on a pedal that has the old tropical fish caps. Being a novice I was hoping you guys could educate me on todays equivalents. I am primarily looking for the sound and not so much caught up on looks. Thanks for anyone that can shed light on this subject for me. Have a great weekend.

gez

Today's equivalents?  Sustainable/farmed fish caps.

Unless the caps have broken connections or something, leave them alone (shouldn't be any need to replace them).  Otherwise, any polyester cap will probably do.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Ed G.

Orange Drops look similar in size and construction.

chrisguitars

Right, well I am planning on building a copy of a unit that has the rectangular tropicals. I just need to know what looks and acts the same. The ones in the pedal I am cloning are rectangular with rounded corners. What can I use to mimick the sound of the vintage tropicals?

skiraly017

I thought I had read somewhere that tropical fish caps became Sprague orange drops. Maybe?  ???
"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

R.G.

QuoteWhat can I use to mimick the sound of the vintage tropicals?

Here's a pertinent question: what, exactly, is the sound of the vintage tropicals?

Are you certain you could pick them out by listening? Are you certain that everyone could?
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Krinor

Quote from: R.G. on February 02, 2008, 04:21:29 PM
QuoteWhat can I use to mimick the sound of the vintage tropicals?

Here's a pertinent question: what, exactly, is the sound of the vintage tropicals?

Are you certain you could pick them out by listening? Are you certain that everyone could?

I'm sure noone could.

See this thread:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=62661.0

SonicVI

Pedal love

Vox used them along with with Arco blue capacitors in the 60's as they were easy to obtain for them. Few people said there was much difference then and I'll bet modern metallized polyfilm caps are similar in quality. Its mainly a status thing, like Rayban sunglasses. 8)

nightingale

I thought tropi's were mylar?
Not like it really even matters.
regards,
ry

be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

chrisguitars

I am just interested in what you guys would use for caps if you were building an effect that originaly used tropical fish.

PerroGrande

mojo_hand

The old ones were Philips/Mullard polyesters, they were eventually replaced by sort of brick red designs, now sold as "BC Components" rather than Philips.

What would I use?  Some filmcap from a reputable manufacturer.  Lots to pick from!

R.G.

The "tropical fish" coloring was just a way of marking the capacitor's capacitance value, much like color bands on resistors. There's not much significance to the coloring other than it shows that they were made by someone (not just one company) long ago.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

momiel

In a Ge Fuzz Face I built I had very similar sound using, for the 10 n output cap, an old tropical fish or a mallory, the yellow and tubular one.
I'm sorry but my English sucks!

Freaking with real fuzz boxes...

BubbaKahuna

NOS Tropicals are not hard to come by.
I have a few hundred of them myself in lots of values.
I use them in anything they fit in requiring the values I have.
They don't sound different to me, but I think they look cooler.  :icon_mrgreen:
My Momma always said, "Stultus est sicut stultus facit".
She was funny like that.

gez

Quote from: R.G. on February 02, 2008, 10:16:30 PM
The "tropical fish" coloring was just a way of marking the capacitor's capacitance value, much like color bands on resistors. There's not much significance to the coloring other than it shows that they were made by someone (not just one company) long ago.

You say that RG, but I used them in a wah once and I've noticed that women look at me in a different way now.  Then again, I do stuff the wah-casing down the front of my pants...
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

DougH

QuoteI am just interested in what you guys would use for caps if you were building an effect that originaly used tropical fish.

The answer is use whatever caps you like. There's nothing significant about the sound of tropical fish caps, contrary to some people's misguided belief. I usually like the "chiclet" caps as a good general purpose signal cap for a pedal.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

DougH

Quote from: gez on February 03, 2008, 04:28:22 AM
Quote from: R.G. on February 02, 2008, 10:16:30 PM

You say that RG, but I used them in a wah once and I've noticed that women look at me in a different way now.  Then again, I do stuff the wah-casing down the front of my pants...

That, and a couple vintage fuzz faces in my back pockets usually does it for me...
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

birt

i use all kinds of caps, whatever i can get. there's tropical fish, orange drops and other big caps in amps and loads of different small caps in effects. i have a pcb right here and i count 7 different types. and elcos. there's also 8 different resistor types on that same PCB :p

if it works i like any type. (this also could have something to do with women, i'm not really sure)
http://www.last.fm/user/birt/
visit http://www.effectsdatabase.com for info on (allmost) every effect in the world!