instead of having a input cab selector on RM/FF style pedas, how about this..

Started by unidive, February 06, 2008, 08:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unidive

a "variable cap" like beavis suggests.. it's labled as "tone blend"

would this electrically be the same thing as having a cap selector with infinite caps to choose from (And infinite positions) or is this something else.. that may mess with the input impedence and frequency response in ways I wouldn't clue into as I'm not an engineer etc.

I need a general opinion on this, because this would be so much better than a rotary switch for fuzz faces and rangemasters.. you could dial in all the shades of grey

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h194/lp59burst/FuzzFace.gif

lenwood

Lennie

unidive

Quote from: lenwood on February 06, 2008, 08:41:26 PM
search for easy face

looked at the schematic, and the "tone" control is exactly what I described, but that doesn't answer any of my questions

John Lyons

The easy face input cap blend works well. Similar to individual caps but variable between fat and thin.
I don't think it has any "issues". Not with the few I've built...
But it does change the frequency response..that's what it's supposed to do.

Take a look at the "Omega" circuit at runoffgrrove as well. This is a rangemaster sound a like circuit that has a variable impedance which mimics a variable input cap.

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

unidive

the reason I was doubtful the "tone shaper" was somehow different sounding than a cap selector, is simply the fact I have seen a lot of pedals with a 10 way rotary input cap selector.. with values ranging from 10pf to 2.2uf - why include such a complex switch when you could simply have the two values at either end of a tone blend, and get infitinite shades of grey between the two?

I should rig up one of these cap blenders, and see if a"halfway" between 10pf and 2.2uf is .1uf or whatever the middle value is supposed to be

Khas Evets

Blending two caps is different than multi-selecting several caps. With multi-section, you're choosing the cut-off freqency and the roll-off slope is consistent after that frequency. When you blend two caps, you're raising or lowering a shelf between to the two cut-off freqencies. I'm probably not describing it clearly, but it's easy to see in a spice simulator. Neither approach is 'better', but there are differences.