News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Vox tone

Started by Dylfish, February 13, 2008, 06:23:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dylfish

Hey guys, my friend and I have build our first pedal (mxr D+ clone) and was wondering how much of a output loss we will get if we add a Vox tone stack as seen in the Duncan TSC?
will we need to add a recovery stage after it or do you think the mxr has enough output to suffice? we were thinking of using a Jfet recovery stage if all goes to shit. also we will be swapping between diodes in the clipping stages (rotary swicthes) later in the project, so since diodes all have differnt outputs how would this effect the tonestack / recovery?

I hope this made sense :(
thanks
Dylan

mojo_hand

Quote from: Dylfish on February 13, 2008, 06:23:14 AM
Hey guys, my friend and I have build our first pedal (mxr D+ clone) and was wondering how much of a output loss we will get if we add a Vox tone stack as seen in the Duncan TSC?
http://duncanamps.com/tsc/index.html
Quote from: Dylfish on February 13, 2008, 06:23:14 AM
will we need to add a recovery stage after it or do you think the mxr has enough output to suffice?
The effective gain of the MXR Distortion+ is limited mainly by the clipping diodes at the output, you shouldn't have any problems.

WGTP

I would say it depends on how your using it.  If your running it into a SS amp and don't intend to overdrive the pre-amp, your probably fine without a recovery stage.

If your planning on overdriving a tube pre-amp with it, you may need a gain recovery stage.   :icon_cool:
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

petemoore

Here's my take...
  The D+ isn't known for any 'extra' output, the Vox tone stack, although only two knobs, is high passive loss [look how low the line goes across compared to others at TSC]/
  I'd think there wouldn't be much signal left.
  Cause I don't do math too good, or have decent grammer sometimes...lol.
  I'd put a buffer before the TS to see if it doesn't work better that way, the try it, then probably decide it needs boosted output...
  Actually, I'd think: D+ > Minibooster> TC> output.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.