News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Buying parts

Started by Radamus, March 05, 2008, 04:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radamus

I am in the process of making my first pedal from a kit, and I am looking to get started working on some other projects. I am curious what parts I will more than likely need for most pedals. I understand that there are going to be parts that I will have to order that are unique or at least less common. I know that I will more than likely need a lot of resistors, but what values are most common? Which capacitors work best for bass? Anything anyone can tell me will be helpful.

Also, I've been looking at allelectronics.com. What are other stores I can order from?

Thanks in advance.

BarnabyHooge

For resistors and caps, I'd go with variety packs. Figuring our which values are most common and how many of each is frustrating.  Radioshack has a decent set of resistors for around $10 and Smallbear has a nice set of film caps for $17. I know Aron has an article somewhere giving a standard list of elec. caps. There are a few threads about this so give it a search and you'll find a lot of info.

MikeH

"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

suprleed

I've used Small Bear Electronics and Mouser Electronics.  Both have great service and decent prices.  Digikey and Pedal Parts Plus are also out there but I can't speak to them although I believe others have used them with success.

Look at the bulk variety packs of resistors and capacitors on smallbear to get an idea of common values.
"That's the way I play" ~EC

Mick Bailey

For semiconductors;

A few op amps - TL072 are a favourite, plus sockets.
FETs - J201 (these can be used to replace a wide variety of types and I don't bother with much else. FETs tend to vary enormously in spec which seems to be totally random so are easy to substitute)
Transistors - 2N5088 & 2N3904
Diodes - low voltage silicon and germanium signal types - 1N914, 1N34A, 1N4148 I seem to use most of, plus a few 1N4001

Bumper packs of film caps (and small value ceramics) and resistors are fine to begin with, but keep a note of which you use most of and then order those in larger quantities. I seem to get through lots of 1k, 10k, 100k, 1M resistors and buy these in 100s. Try to get caps with decent lead length, rather than stubby pins of the 'box' type - they have a wider range of uses and the leads can be spread to fit varying hole spacing more easily.

You will also be surprised how many pots you get through, particularly 10k, 100k, 1M (both log and linear).

Radamus

I've run into some problems. Most things are simple to order, depending on the location. In the case of potentiometers and DC jacks, I'm not sure what kind (beyond 100K ohms, etc.) that I need. Is there a simpler way to look at this?

I figured out stereo and mono jacks. I figured out resistors (1/4 watt sound right?).  I'm pretty sure I figured out the transistors, too. What Kind of board should I be doing this on? My other project was a kit. I haven't used regular perf board yet. What type of wire (gauge, etc.) should I be ordering? Also, what's the best way to buy those foot switches? I know I need heavier duty ones (for feet) and I'm not sure how to ask for that from an online store.

I guess I'm just looking for some tips while shopping. Schematics only give you some of the parts. I want to know the rest of it. I'm excited to get working on some new pedals now that I have one under my belt. I've just run into the wall of not knowing all of these little extra variables that I can order for everything.

nokaster

you could try the futurlec.com value packs...

Austin73

I actually went down the multi pack route and wish I hadn't now. I got loads of random stuff I'm not sure I'll ever need lol

My advice find 3 builds you want to try work out common values and buy bulk in resistors and caps. When you come to your next 3 builds you will have most of what you need then bulk buy the parts you don't . I find that now I have lots of parts that I use regularly and hardly any wastage so to speak.

You could even buy 1000 resistors cheap from rapid and sell the other 500 or so to get your money back.

Lots of options

Also one I'm trying to get started would be bulk buying together and splitting cost.

Good luck

Aus
Bazz Fuss, Red LLama, Harmonic Jerkulator, LoFo MoFo, NPN Boost, Bronx Cheer, AB Box, Dual Loop, Crash Sync

Mick Bailey

I use Rapid a lot for my stuff - they have pretty much everything for UK builders.

Faber

Yes, some of the stuff in the Futurlec value packs are useless (I had never heard of 75% of the transistors).

The ceramic caps pack was decent, but the values were too low (i got more 1pF than I will EVER need...)

For individual parts, I like Mouser, they have just about everything.  The only complaint I have is the shipping.  Last time I ordered from there it was 1-2 weeks...
I also use Newark.  Not as much selection as Mouser, but it gets here in 2 business days (great when in a bind).

12milluz

Quote from: Faber on March 06, 2008, 04:31:56 PM
Yes, some of the stuff in the Futurlec value packs are useless (I had never heard of 75% of the transistors).

The ceramic caps pack was decent, but the values were too low (i got more 1pF than I will EVER need...)

For individual parts, I like Mouser, they have just about everything.  The only complaint I have is the shipping.  Last time I ordered from there it was 1-2 weeks...
I also use Newark.  Not as much selection as Mouser, but it gets here in 2 business days (great when in a bind).
Surprising, I got my orders from Mouser very quickly. I am very pleased with them. Futurlec however, is taking a very long time. I'm glad I made a big order since I most likely will not be buying from there again. Email replies are "ehh" too.
Quote from: Processaurus
You need a glade plug-in, in on a footswitch.  Kick on the big muff, then hit the air freshener pedal.

Visit my site: http://www.freewebs.com/12milluzmusic

Radamus

I'm still a bit confused about parts. I understand what parts I need, but when I search for, say, a potentiometer, I get bombarded with a bunch of things I don't understand, like type of knob, operating temperature, etc. It's not just "potentiometer" it's a bunch of numbers, no picture, and I have no idea what to do with it. Also, there seems to be two different sizes of dc jacks and I'm not sure which one I need. I'm struggling with stuff like that. I just made a kit, but I have no idea what the parts are that I used. They were just provided. Any tips on sorting through the mess?

Radamus

What is the best type of DPDT switch? I know it needs to be a foot switch and heavy duty. Is there a mouser number or something someone can give me?

Radamus

I found the 3PDT switches online, but it seems like each one is about 5-10 dollars. Is this the only way to go? Is there a cheaper place?

MartyMart

Quote from: Radamus on March 07, 2008, 03:30:03 AM
I found the 3PDT switches online, but it seems like each one is about 5-10 dollars. Is this the only way to go? Is there a cheaper place?

Aron has 3PDT switches here in the store along with a few other goodies.

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

smallbearelec

Quote from: Radamus on March 07, 2008, 01:43:49 AM
I'm still a bit confused about parts. I understand what parts I need, but when I search for, say, a potentiometer, I get bombarded with a bunch of things I don't understand, like type of knob, operating temperature, etc. Any tips on sorting through the mess?

I understand your frustration. The Mouser catalog is a fantastic resourcefor an experienced designer. However, it's breadth of 150,000 or more items makes it hard to navigate for a beginner. It sounds like you have (successfully?) built one kit and are looking at buying parts to build from a published design. My Stock List:

http://www.smallbearelec.com/StoreFront.bok

brings together in one place the few hundred items that are most needed for pedal DIY. For many beginners, this is a major convenience. Also, if you have a popular build in mind, I can usually e-mail you a spreadsheet list that will help with shopping. Given that, and a board from GeneralGuitarGadgets or Tonepad, and you are good to go.

As a general comment, I would add that I have a few competitors now--other "one-stop" specialty shops that target what has become a very substantial niche market. Welcome, and Happy Construction!

SD
smallbearelec@ix.netcom.com

Faber

Quote from: 12milluz on March 06, 2008, 04:35:27 PM
Surprising, I got my orders from Mouser very quickly. I am very pleased with them. Futurlec however, is taking a very long time. I'm glad I made a big order since I most likely will not be buying from there again. Email replies are "ehh" too.

Yes, my Futurlec order took about 2 weeks, but I didn't need the parts right away and they're so cheap that I overlooked the shipping.
Maybe my Mouser experience was one of the few mishaps.  I will be ordering from them again.

nokaster

i most vote once more for futurlec.
i've read stories about late shipsments to the US, but to me, in Belgium shipping is great.
each time i order something, shipping takes a day less!

the value packs are a gamble and there will be stuff in them you don't need.
but prices for resistors are very cheap!
a big range of choices in capacitors.
a lot of the transistors and ic's we use, also some there are hard to get in belgium.

pots at 50 cents!!!! i repeat... pots at 50 cents!

i've been pushing them to add some stuff to their catalogue, like germanium transistors, jacks, B and BB boxes, 3PDT's etc...
told them the pedal building community needs some specific parts they don't have right now.

they are cheap, reliable and shipping is fast enough for me.
i can't but recommend them!!!!

zombiwoof

Quote from: Faber on March 09, 2008, 10:09:24 AM
Quote from: 12milluz on March 06, 2008, 04:35:27 PM

Yes, my Futurlec order took about 2 weeks, but I didn't need the parts right away and they're so cheap that I overlooked the shipping.
Maybe my Mouser experience was one of the few mishaps.  I will be ordering from them again.

One thing to keep in mind when ordering from Mouser, I believe if your order includes backordered items, they will hold the shipment until the backordered items are available, unless you tell them not to.  I don't know if this happened with your order or not.

Al

killerkev

I go mainly with Mouser for all major orders, Pedal Parts Plus for stomp switches & enclosures and Small bear for hard to find parts. I've never had problems with Mouser's shipping, Pedal Parts are very reasonable & ship fast. As for parts, you need to look at what the build requires. Just like what others have said, you'll notice common values. Order these in large volumes. For resistors, Xicon metal film and metalized film capacitors. Polyster film if I can't get the capacitor value in metallized. For pots, You either need audio (log) or linear. Look to see what the build requires and purchase those, I go with Pedal parts or Small bear for these since they are cheaper that Mouser for smaller volumes. No matter how much I organize and make a list, I seem to always miss something!.....I just put it on the list for next time and hope I don't misplace it!