Resistor in parallel w/ pot

Started by gutsofgold, March 28, 2008, 08:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baran Ismen

Quote from: Dormammu on October 10, 2023, 01:47:39 PM
Quote from: Baran Ismen on October 10, 2023, 01:12:50 PMAm I too stupid to comprehend this matter or my pots are just weird?

https://www.elby-designs.com/webtek/documents/tailoringpotentionometers.pdf

According to this PDF file's 5th Figure, I need to solder a 100k resistor between 2 active lugs of my 1m linear pot and it becomes logarithmic, right?

Mine becomes however something completely different, it reads around 80k or something. For Rev.Log, what shall I do? Add a resistor of 10m?

Thing is, the circuit I deal with right now is Small Stone and there are only 2 lugs connected. 3rd one is empty, or shorted to 2nd.
May be (you're dumby,a little).    ;D
It is not clear what value of the pot you want to get.
PDF link is not work.
Post the circuit with the pot marked, if it's not too much trouble.

Thanks for the compliment, mate :)

http://web.archive.org/web/20210203023928/https://www.elby-designs.com/webtek/documents/tailoringpotentionometers.pdf

I need a C1M pot and got B1M pot at hand that needs to be converted into C.

FiveseveN

It's irrelevant as it won't work in the rheostat (variable resistor, 2 lugs connected) application.
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

Baran Ismen

Quote from: FiveseveN on October 10, 2023, 02:47:58 PMIt's irrelevant as it won't work in the rheostat (variable resistor, 2 lugs connected) application.

I've just noticed that after reading the secret life of pots couple of times.

Time to order it from Tayda, then.

GGBB

Quote from: Baran Ismen on October 10, 2023, 01:20:31 AMIs it possible to make a C taper pot from a B taper? :icon_rolleyes:

Not a real potentiometer (3 terminals), but you can make a C taper variable resistor (2 terminals) from a linear pot or variable resistor. See Antonis' answer above.
  • SUPPORTER

Baran Ismen

Quote from: GGBB on October 10, 2023, 04:24:09 PM
Quote from: Baran Ismen on October 10, 2023, 01:20:31 AMIs it possible to make a C taper pot from a B taper? :icon_rolleyes:

Not a real potentiometer (3 terminals), but you can make a C taper variable resistor (2 terminals) from a linear pot or variable resistor. See Antonis' answer above.

Im truly lost here.

In theory, i need to connect a b2m pots 1st and 2nd lugs with a 400k resistor and use these lugs for board connection, right? 3rd one is not connected anywhere. So that ill get a c1m pot curve?

Phend

Do a breadboard. Wire up your pot and connect to breadboard. Select resistors and insert.
Use your meter on resistance and watch how the pot functions as you turn it.
Functions, meaning how, and when you see how ohms change.
  • SUPPORTER+
You can never know the exact time, you'll always be late.

StephenGiles

I can't help thinking that it's a lot easier to buy the correct value pot with the correct taper in the first place - runs for cover!!

See the September 1988 copy of Home & Studio Recording which has the circuit of a Dual Fader/Gate/Panner, and look at the current mirror section so described in the article!!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

PRR

Quote from: StephenGiles on October 10, 2023, 05:30:51 PM...easier to buy the correct value pot with the correct taper in the first place

I believe Baran Ismen is in Turkey/Türkiye. Now, there are "no" electronics dealers in my part of the USA. But even mail-order may not be robust in much of the world, including I suppose Turkey. I see that iPhones get hit with heavy taxes. The Ministry of Trade says e-trade is brisk, and I believe it may be, relative to the past. Stuff I read online suggests that our Paypal/VISA/AmEx card payments don't work in Turkey; you call the seller, haggle the price, and wire the money to his account.
  • SUPPORTER

Baran Ismen

Quote from: PRR on October 10, 2023, 10:39:11 PM
Quote from: StephenGiles on October 10, 2023, 05:30:51 PM...easier to buy the correct value pot with the correct taper in the first place

I believe Baran Ismen is in Turkey/Türkiye. Now, there are "no" electronics dealers in my part of the USA. But even mail-order may not be robust in much of the world, including I suppose Turkey. I see that iPhones get hit with heavy taxes. The Ministry of Trade says e-trade is brisk, and I believe it may be, relative to the past. Stuff I read online suggests that our Paypal/VISA/AmEx cgard payments don't work in Turkey; you call the seller, haggle the price, and wire the money to his account.

It's Turkey, not North Korea. :icon_lol:  Indeed we have some problems but not that bad, for now at least... PayPal has been blocked for a long time, but for the rest, there's no problem, only thing is international trade for such small items is costly..

We have plenty of suppliers all around the country yet C taper is simply not available -let alone the A tapers-. The last chance is Tayda. I'll pay %20 import tax over the total price inc. the shipping, so 0.50$ worth of C1M pot will cost me about 10 bucks :)

But seems like I have no other choice, right?

Dormammu

Quote from: Baran Ismen on October 10, 2023, 02:02:43 PMThanks for the compliment, mate :)

http://web.archive.org/web/20210203023928/https://www.elby-designs.com/webtek/documents/tailoringpotentionometers.pdf

The link still doesn't work.
But based on the data presented — having a 1M pot cannot be fully converted into a different curvature in the described way.
You need to decide on an acceptable resistance value or the functionality of the regulator — and act on this basis.

Baran Ismen

Quote from: Dormammu on October 11, 2023, 02:31:47 AM
Quote from: Baran Ismen on October 10, 2023, 02:02:43 PMThanks for the compliment, mate :)

The link still doesn't work.
But based on the data presented — having a 1M pot cannot be fully converted into a different curvature in the described way.
You need to decide on an acceptable resistance value or the functionality of the regulator — and act on this basis.

Try this? It's an old & dead link, can only be reachable via Wayback Machine.

I also have B2M in stock, I can use it if the total resistance will be decreased.

Dormammu

Quote from: Baran Ismen on October 11, 2023, 03:35:58 AMI also have B2M in stock, I can use it if the total resistance will be decreased.
Oh damn, what a misunderstanding.
Having googled the Small Stone diagram, I found 1 pot (1М) connected according to the rheostat circuit — there is no reason to use a pot with a certain curvature there. Perhaps you should just reduce its value using any available method, including simply shunting it.

Baran Ismen

Quote from: Dormammu on October 11, 2023, 05:45:31 AM
Quote from: Baran Ismen on October 11, 2023, 03:35:58 AMI also have B2M in stock, I can use it if the total resistance will be decreased.
Oh damn, what a misunderstanding.
Having googled the Small Stone diagram, I found 1 pot (1М) connected according to the rheostat circuit — there is no reason to use a pot with a certain curvature there. Perhaps you should just reduce its value using any available method, including simply shunting it.

There's an imbalance between the rate pot value and LFO cap.

If I decrease the pot value, I need to increase the LFO cap value (which is 22uf at the moment) and vice versa.

After trying a couple of options, I've seen that 1m / 22uf sounds good on both the slowest and fastest settings. The problem is the range and accumulation in between. At the moment, the first quarter (maybe more) of the B1M pot doesn't feel to react precisely and increase the rate proportionally.

duck_arse

Baran - here is a question for you, based on the information you have provided. if you have a 1M resistor and you want to put a parallel resistor across it, what is the value of the added resistor such that the end result resistance is 1M?

or - 1M // Rx = 1M , Rx = ??

I had a slight fever

Baran Ismen

Quote from: duck_arse on October 11, 2023, 09:48:40 AM

Baran - here is a question for you, based on the information you have provided. if you have a 1M resistor and you want to put a parallel resistor across it, what is the value of the added resistor such that the end result resistance is 1M?

or - 1M // Rx = 1M , Rx = ??

It's 1 ohm ? ::)

Okay, I got B2M in stock as well  :D

antonis

:icon_biggrin:  :icon_biggrin:  :icon_biggrin:  :icon_biggrin:
(sorry but couldn't restrain myself) :icon_redface:
Beni yanlış anlama dostum..

@Baran: ANY resistance set in parallel with another one dominates the value of the later.. :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Dormammu

Quote from: antonis on October 11, 2023, 01:55:36 PMANY resistance set in parallel with another one dominates the value of the later.. :icon_wink:
Not ANY resistance will dominate, but the total resistance will be less than the least resistance.

Baran Ismen

Quote from: antonis on October 11, 2023, 01:55:36 PM:icon_biggrin:  :icon_biggrin:  :icon_biggrin:  :icon_biggrin:
(sorry but couldn't restrain myself) :icon_redface:
Beni yanlış anlama dostum..

@Baran: ANY resistance set in parallel with another one dominates the value of the later.. :icon_wink:

Thats Ok Antonis, i dont.

I am not as pro as you all people when it comes to theorical information, sorry.

I really just need to know if i can make a rev log conversion with the linear pots i have and be able to use as rate pot or not, otherwise ill put an order to tayda  :-[

PRR

Quote from: Dormammu on October 11, 2023, 02:31:47 AMThe link still doesn't work.

The Archive[.]org link, "with two URLs", confuses this forum's auto-parser.

Manually linked:

In some browsers, you can highlight the whole link, right-click, and "Open in new tab".

• SUPPORTER

Dormammu

Quote from: PRR on October 11, 2023, 09:52:33 PMIn some browsers, you can highlight the whole link, right-click, and "Open in new tab".
Nevermind.
I was inattentive and thought that this was a link to the Small Stone diagram.  ;D