I can't sleep, I just figured out something incredible!

Started by aron, April 01, 2008, 06:18:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aron

I was soldering and noticed that the tone of my guitar was getting better and better. It was the solder I was using. It was NOS (new old stock) solder that I found at a local store.

It was sounding so good that I decided to try and see what the solder sounded like. The harmonics were jumping out of the guitar - similar to the first EVH album. I put it through my scope and yes, there were added harmonics. Pretty incredible.

Anyway, I wanted to share with you guys.

the recluse

Auke Haarsma

nope, I've heard this before.

I have a '96 Gibson LP standard, and when I resoldered the tonepot (volume pot has no influence here) with NOS Solder it did indeed sound more vintage!

96ecss

Aron, will you be offering some of the NOS solder for sale?  How about $100 per inch? ;)

Dave

zombiwoof

I think Aron has been partaking of a little too much of Hawaii's well known agricultural product.

Al

DougH

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

drewl

Way back in the old days, big old Tektronix tube oscilloscopes used to have a small roll of silver solder for the high voltage section.
So I've got a few of those around which adds just the right "mojo" in the circuit path of amps and guitars.
Now I may be able to sell some.....I'll start the bidding at.....$1000.00 a roll! ;)

oldschoolanalog

Quote from: zombiwoof on April 01, 2008, 07:02:58 AM
I think Aron has been partaking of a little too much of Hawaii's well known agricultural product.

Al
Pineapple?  ;) ;D
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

ayayay!

QuoteQuote from: zombiwoof on Today at 06:02:58 AM

Al

Pineapple?   

Nope, Macadamia husk.  You can dry it, crush it, and light it up in a big ol fattie. 
The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

drewl

This is weird, why did the words pipe and wang become pipe and wang in my post?

??????? happened again??
t-u-b-e    and m-o-j-o

petemoore

Happy day 1 of April ! You ____2!
  I can see from the picture you've forgotten to plug the effect in, perhaps that is why it sounds so.
  Harmonics jumping out of the guitar is cool as long as they're jumping into the amp from there.
  Increased whee-ang for certain, can you see how much solder I went through to get this tone ?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Austin73

very good mate, but wait didn't we actually see some one selling pedals with different types of solder for super mojo !

Aus
Bazz Fuss, Red LLama, Harmonic Jerkulator, LoFo MoFo, NPN Boost, Bronx Cheer, AB Box, Dual Loop, Crash Sync

juse

I have some NOS solder too, from a secret bunker raided during WWII. I bought it at a garage sale a few years ago. It sounds so good I can bypass the pedal board all together and still get those rich, thick harmonics - and the sustain...... hear that? It's still going  ;)

zombiwoof

Quote from: oldschoolanalog on April 01, 2008, 09:40:06 AM
Quote from: zombiwoof on April 01, 2008, 07:02:58 AM

Al
Pineapple?  ;) ;D

Possibly, as too much pineapple intake has been known to cause hallucinations in some people.
(Oh, that's right, it's no longer April first, oh well...........)

Al

zombiwoof

Quote from: 96ecss on April 01, 2008, 06:51:43 AM
Aron, will you be offering some of the NOS solder for sale?  How about $100 per inch? ;)

Dave

Unfortunately, you Europeans out there have to settle for the lead-free solder, which IMO sucks tone.  The good news is that I've developed some mods for it, including true bypass and some secret stuff, that will make it sound just like the vintage solder.

Al

Paul Marossy

Huh, that's an interesting finding. Too bad the stuff wouldn't hold up with daily use...  :icon_confused:

Ben N

• SUPPORTER

PerroGrande

If NOS solder is good, does that mean all the OOS (Old Old Stock) is even better?

I, for one, think it does.

For example, I had a broken 1/4" stereo jack on one of my pedals.  It sounded terrible.  Sometimes the sound would cut out all together.  Other times (especially when I moved the pedal -- notably with my foot), scratchiness would enter the sound.  I re-soldered this connection with OOS solder, and it sounds MUCH better than when it was broken.

aron

I tried something else. I read about cryogenically freezing pickup wire, so what I did was leave my Bullet single coils in my freezer - I think it's close to a year now.

After thawing and putting them in, I don't like the highs... Much too ice-picky tone. I think it's sounds more brittle now.

mdh

Quote from: aron on April 01, 2008, 05:41:47 PM
After thawing and putting them in, I don't like the highs... Much too ice-picky tone. I think it's sounds more brittle now.

Try repotting them in organic beeswax with a little hot chili oil added.  No more than a drop or two, though, you don't want to warm them up too much.