mixing 1% and 5% tolerance

Started by Grizz, April 01, 2008, 02:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grizz

I looked on the facts page and they only talked about using 1/4 and 1/2 watt resistors on the same board.

Can you mix 1% and 5% tolerance resistors on the same board and does it affect the end sound?

Thanks,

Scott

mdh

5% tolerance is good enough for most anything we do around here, and there's certainly no adverse effect of mixing in 1% resistors.  Some people might claim that metal film resistors (which the 1% resistors almost certainly are) are quieter than carbon film (which the 5% resistors almost certainly are), but whatever.  Don't worry, use what you have or can get.

Edit: just to say that by "quieter" I don't mean that there is any volume loss, I mean less noisy.

petemoore

Can you mix 1% and 5% tolerance resistors on the same board and does it affect the end sound?
  >99% of the time, I use 5% tolerance resistors.
  early on I bought a batch of 1%-ers.
  I'm much more impressed with the noise of any actives and especially Ge transistors than '5% Vs. 1%' tolerance resistors.
  I wouldn't mind if building another DynaComp, to try 1% resistors at relevant positions near the input [where of course all the gain is yet to be added, and signal voltage is yet to be multiplied] at large value resistor positions, and compare that to my present Dynacomp [all 5% resistors].

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

zombiwoof

AFAIK the tolerance of the resistors has nothing to do with their performance, only how close they are to the stated value.  If you're using a resistor where it really requires an exact value, just measure your stock with a meter and pick the one that's closest to that value.

Al

R.G.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.