News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Maestro Fuzz MFZ-1

Started by yeeshkul, April 04, 2008, 10:37:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yeeshkul

I was gonna give a try to Maestro MFZ-1 clone. I mean the plastic-looking wedge-shaped fuzz with two big wheel-pots at its sides.
Look here: http://filters.muziq.be/model/maestro/tfc/mfz1

Guys has anyone built this one? Any idea about the trannies? They say the are Ge but they are NPN ...
The circuit is not completely typical 60's fuzz cliche and makes me eager to try ...  :icon_twisted: hihihi

schematics: http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electronics/schematics/audio/maestrofuzz.pdf

GREEN FUZ

I couldn`t say for sure but in an old post on Ampage someone suggested that it may be a 2N3391A. Another NPN germanium transistor I can think of, just off the top of my head, is an AC127.

Probably worth doing a quick search of the forum for possible alternatives.

yeeshkul

i have no clue but it looks like something from 70's more than 60's. I bet they are silicon.

yeeshkul

yes, mid 70's beast, silicon trannies. their kind is the question now :)

Mark Hammer

If it is the earliest Maestro fuzz reputed to have been used on "Satisfaction" then the chances are pretty good it is not a "70's beast", and the chances are also reduced that it is a silicon-based pedal.

I have a bunch of Maestro schems posted here: http://hammer.ampage.org/files/Maestroworld.zip  (courtesy of the always courteous Rick L).

I have an original FZ-1S and made myself an FZ-1B clone.  They are two different sorts of animals.  It is entirely possible that there is critical information missing from the FZ-1B schematic, but I was not all that impressed with it.  Glad it only cost me parts and an afternoon.

Sir H C

I think I have the whole maestro collection, MFZ-1 is op-amp based.  No germanium in there except maybe the diodes.  Cool fuzz all the same.  Very different than the FZ-1, FZ-1A, FZ-1B (both versions), FZ-1S (my fav).

Dragonfly

somewhere i have the actual service manual...i'll try to dig it up....

:)

Dragonfly

The schematic linked in the original post was the germanium version FZ-1/FZ-1a... IIRC they used germ transistors with the "SFT" designation...maybe "SFT337" or similar...I can find out for sure, I'm just going by memory right now.

Sir H C

FZ1 has 2N270s if I remember correctly, the FZ1A are different ones.  Have to open it up to see.

zombiwoof

Some of you haven't read the original post, he's asking about the 70's MFZ-1, not the original 60's FZ-1 or FZ-1A.

Al

Dragonfly

Quote from: zombiwoof on April 05, 2008, 02:16:52 AM
Some of you haven't read the original post, he's asking about the 70's MFZ-1, not the original 60's FZ-1 or FZ-1A.

Al

Actually, we saw what he's "talking about"...except he LINKED the schematic for the FZ1 / FZ1a ... THATS why we're talking about both !  :)

He hasnt clarified which he wishes to build,....the one he "asked about", or the one he linked the schematic to...

See...we're observant.

SeanCostello

Quote from: Dragonfly on April 04, 2008, 04:30:29 PM

This is probably the schematic for the silver wedge Maestro with the wheels on the side, as these were designed by Moog Music, and the above schematic definitely has that late 1970's Norlin Moog look about it.

Sean Costello

brett

Hi
check out the Hidrosis (search) - it's a slightly improved version of the MFZ-1.  Less noisey, etc.
Though swap the 1k drive/sweat pot to a 10k.
cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

yeeshkul

edit: i received the operation manual and yes, it is the opamp based variant. The mystery is solved now.

As for this scheme

This is another maestro Fuzz, i have no clue which one though. The transistors were labeled as 991-002298. I used google for the number an got a Thomes Organ transistor P-2298, PNP silicon transistor. I mean now i have certain reason to think it could have been silicon based. But i can be wrong indeed. Who knows which model was used for Satisfaction anyway.

thank you all for your assistance

yeeshkul

by the chance, is there any substitute for this SN72LO22P amp? :)
I can only find TL022 here, but it says +/- 18V ...

Dragonfly

Quote from: SeanCostello on April 05, 2008, 02:50:01 AM

This is probably the schematic for the silver wedge Maestro with the wheels on the side, as these were designed by Moog Music, and the above schematic definitely has that late 1970's Norlin Moog look about it.

Sean Costello

It is...thats why I posted it. Its directly from the service manual of the MFZ Fuzz.  ;)

Sir H C

Quote from: yeeshkul on April 05, 2008, 05:28:03 AM
edit: i received the operation manual and yes, it is the opamp based variant. The mystery is solved now.

As for this scheme

This is another maestro Fuzz, i have no clue which one though. The transistors were labeled as 991-002298. I used google for the number an got a Thomes Organ transistor P-2298, PNP silicon transistor. I mean now i have certain reason to think it could have been silicon based. But i can be wrong indeed. Who knows which model was used for Satisfaction anyway.

thank you all for your assistance

That is the second version of the FZ-1B.  Came in the black wedge case.  Odd effect as it gates the signal.

TELEFUNKON

Quote from: Dragonfly on April 05, 2008, 10:33:19 AM
It is...thats why I posted it. Its directly from the service manual of the MFZ Fuzz.  ;)

which you know is located here: http://rapidshare.com/files/104843506/Maestro_MFZ-1_Fuzz.pdf.html

soulsonic

Quote from: yeeshkul on April 05, 2008, 06:11:08 AM
by the chance, is there any substitute for this SN72LO22P amp? :)
I can only find TL022 here, but it says +/- 18V ...

You could use the TL022, or the TL072, TL062, or most any dual opamp. The +/- 18V thing is pretty standard to most opamps, the circuit of the MFZ-1 is designed with that sort of opamp in mind, so you're fine. What does the Hidrosis use? I'd use that as a starting point.
Check out my NEW DIY site - http://solgrind.wordpress.com