What graphics program do you use for labels?

Started by SDRed, April 15, 2008, 12:27:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SDRed

I got a new computer (well new to me) and It doesn't have any graphics programs.  What do you all recommend that is affordable and does a nice job?

Thanks,

Brian

The Tone God

zarathustra

I'm a big fan of Paint.NET, which is also free. It has a lot of the same features as Photoshop, but it's as easy to use as MS Paint.

MarcoMike

Paint Shop Pro forever! (I suggest 9th edition)

Photoshop may result kind of over-complicated for beginners.

Gimp has some realy annoying features, and about the "free" aspect... well, also photoshop can be "found" for free...
Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible.

rogerinIowa

+1 on Paint Shop Pro...it feel is so much easier to run than photoshop or illustrator. I use to make my labels, graphics for etching, layouts for drilling, it rules.
This is just a suggestion, but :

http://isohunt.com/torrents/?ihq=paint+shop+pro
friends dont let friends use stock pedals.

axg20202

I use Corel Designer because it allows easy 1:1 scale drawing for box cutting templates as well as labels and graphics. Very easy to use CAD program. I have built up templates for various box sizes, pots, sockets etc etc, so making up a new design takes no time. Making the initial design is pretty quick though.

sprog

+1 on  paint.NET & Inkscape. I've tried GIMP & GIMPshop, but I am stuck on photoshop & can't make the switch. But paint.NET is really close to photoshop & has some powerful features. Inkscape is nice because it is vector, which is my favorite way to output because it is scalable without the jaggies. Also, the openoffice.org suite has a graphics editor in it you can try. There are so many open source choices out there that are professional quality - and best of all, they're free.

tranceracer

+1 Paintshop Pro.  You can still find free versions on the web.  I use ver 10.  It's gained a lot of baggage since it was assimilated by Corel.  I'd recommend Ver 8 and 9.  Version 10 has a steep learning curve even for veteran users.

Nothing wrong with MS Paint tho it's very basic.  I've usd MS Paint many times sketch out ideas real quick on PCs that I didn't have Paintshop pro on.

MarcoMike

I agree about the improvements in latest corel's versions, but they came out really heavy... version 11th takes ages to load!!
Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible.

iaresee

Quote from: The Tone God on April 15, 2008, 12:57:39 AM
Inkscape and GIMP. Both free.

Andrew

A big +1 to The GIMP (http://www.gimp.org/) it's been moving in leaps and bounds in recent years. Not the easiest interface, but hella powerful for free.

SDRed

Cool, thanks everyone.  I'm going to start checking them out!

slideman82

MS Paint rules!!!! My pcb's look really nice. Anyway, there are better!
Hey! Turk-&-J.D.! And J.D.!