What can i build with 200hfe Ge transistors?

Started by andrew_k, April 16, 2008, 06:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrew_k

I've just finished salvaging 14 various Toshiba transistors and am in the process of testing them using R.G's circuit. The 3 that I've tested so far have been awesome; low leakage and gains of 70, 90, and 200+!?! 

I tested the last one a few times to be sure, but yes, that's the result. I'm planning on using some of these to make at least one Tonebender MkII and Rangemaster, but are there any interesting circuits for high gain PNP Ge?

Thanks

rikkards

If you have enough in that range, maybe a Kay Fuzztone? I believe the transistors were in that range.
Pedals built: Kay Fuzztone, Fuzz Face, Foxx Tone Machine, May Queen, Buffer/Booster, ROG Thor, BSIAB2, ROG Supreaux,  Electrictab JCM800 Emulator, ROG Eighteen
Present Project: '98 Jeep TJ

brett

200 would make an awesome Rangemaster.  Oh yeah  :icon_eek:
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

andrew_k

Quote from: brett on April 16, 2008, 10:17:44 PM
200 would make an awesome Rangemaster.  Oh yeah  :icon_eek:
lol, I just went and found the rangemaster schem for exactly that purpose

Twisted minds think alike  :icon_twisted:

mac

What Toshibas?

I used +200 in a Ge Big Muff. Amazing tone.

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt install ECC83 EL84

andrew_k

Quote from: mac on April 16, 2008, 10:48:56 PM
What Toshibas?

From memory, 2SB463, 2SB440, 2SB56, 2SB40 and some others.

I briefly considered a big muff, but I recently picked up a triangle muff built by forum member nitefly182 and it's filling that niche nicely.

4 of them (I think 2SB463) are mounted on a cool looking metal plate, but due to their package design all the collectors are joined. If anyone knows a circuit that uses 4 Ge's with joined collectors it would be awesome to be able to use this chunk o' metal.

brett

Darl-darl-darlington, anyone?

(I'm only kidding - it would oscillate and hiss like mad.)  In most circuits, the phase changes by 180 degrees between stages and you need to separate the collectors.
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

rogeryu_ph

I thought lower Hfe is needed for Rangemaster.... ???
I got Mullard OC44 with 210 Hfe reading, is this good for Rangemaster :icon_question:

Roger

petemoore

Rangemaster is a funny bias on a gain stage, diddling with the bias can get the topology to work with any Ge [working] transisitor.
  I think the 70hfe for RM has to do with the 7/9th's collector bias [of PS] causing the clipping to be strong on one side...lower gain maybe sounds good for distorted RM on 9v...somewhat above unity.
  Gain stages, gain stages with clipping elements [bmp], transistor fuzz stages [run a row of them and the 'left-er' ones with boosted input will distort.
I seem to recall a little 'Deacy' amp..reportedly used for electric guitar tracks on a Queen record.
Piggyback, try our Range-Pig, or a piggybacked Q1- Fuzz Face.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

mac

I agree with Pete that the ideal hfe for a RM is around 70, and 6.7v to 7v on the collector.

2sb56 have a good reputation. I have many of them and they fit every project.

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt install ECC83 EL84

andrew_k

bumblebee

id build a FF with that hFE,i dont like hFE much lower than 190 in any fuzz.