Alright, I took the Behringer plunge...

Started by ugly_guitar_guy, April 24, 2008, 06:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ugly_guitar_guy

There's one song in my set that needs a phaser and I dont have one nor do I want to spend $80 on a Phase 90 for just one song, so I went ahead and bought a Behringer PH9 off ebay for $25. When I get it I'll pop it open and take some pics of the guts for y'all and we can see if there's any way to make it sound "better."  ;D

-Chris
Check out my metal band here: www.facebook.com/hollowshell
or
my personal effects building page here: www.facebook.com/brotronics

drewl

What do they go for new?
Are they cheap plastic things or what?

When I ordered like $100 worth of stuff from musicians friend last year they threw in an Arion SAD3 cheapie plastic delay pedal.
Lo and behold these things get great reviews on the web and are kinda sought after.
Anyway, you could have bought a board and some parts and made  a better one for $25....then again maybe not we'll see when you get it.

ugly_guitar_guy

I think Behringer has a retail price of like $45 for these things. I dont think I could have made one for cheaper to be honest. I dont really have all the supplies to make a board right now so those alone would cost more than $25. I found a review that said they are a metal casing so that will be cool if it is. If not I'll drop it in one 'cause my frankenstein boots will kill a plastic box.

Should have it within a week so we shal see....
Check out my metal band here: www.facebook.com/hollowshell
or
my personal effects building page here: www.facebook.com/brotronics

ambulancevoice

i think there plastic enclosures
but im not 100% sure

Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

fifi

yeah, other people reported also behringer uses cheapo plastic case, and most of the fx are in smd, so not so easy to mod...

joegagan

ditto on the arion stuff.
i have an  arion octave pedal sounds identical to the boss OC2s i have owned in the past. it was $20 on special fr musicians friend. i true bypassed it and wired it to a dual pot in my crybaby so i can wah and octave in the same foot sweep. search wah octave on utube for my samples of this.

also recently bought an arion stereo phaser used here in town for $15 because the batt cover was missing. it sound like a good phaser should, not quite as chewy or cool as a small stone, but still really nice effect for the $ i also us it in bypass mode for a signal splitter since it has two outs and the buffers sound ok to me.

haven't tried any behringers yet. the guys over at shortscale.org were getting pretty excited about the 'superfuzz ' behringer, one of the regulars there put up a utube sample. sounded pretty good in the clips.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

dschwartz

i have to confess ia have 2 behringer fx.. an octaver, and the 7 band eq..

the octaver sounds great, it´s all smd, but the chips are the same of a oc-2 (4013 and stuff), so i´m sure it´s analog.. i´m pretty happy with it..things i don´t like about it= plastic casing (even though it feels sturdy), and noisy with cheap xformers (i use it with a regulated PS, so no problem for me)

the eq..now i can´t live w/out it..is truly really great!!! very low noise, effective and cheap as hell!!!

sincerely, i would by a behringer FX over a big brand fx any day..(sorry roland and friends)..they cost the same as a good 10 feet cable!!

they look cheap?
yes, i dont care

are the plastic? 
yes.. i like that cause i can just throw it my fx gig bag and not worry bout scratches..and if they broke...HA!! go buy another for 25 bucks..

do they sound like crap?
Not at all!!! i´ll bet my ass that if they come with a nice die cast metal enclosure, changed its name to something fancier, and had a picture on the media of kurt kobain with one of those..people would say that is the best effect in the world and unique sounding and stuff..

every time i go to a music store i look for them and test them..for the money you can´t go wrong!!
----------------------------------------------------------
Tubes are overrated!!

http://www.simplifieramp.com

Bensnap

When I was working at my local music shop we used to sell tons of Behringer pedals. They sound great for $25 and I can't remember any ever being returned because of breakage. Lots of young kids bought them and if they hold up to that kind of abuse I would be confident putting one on my board.
"It's too bad that whole families have to be torn apart by something as simple as wild dogs"-Jack Handy

5thumbs

+1 on *some* Behringer FX pedals and products.

I have the 7-band EQ pedal, which is noisy and therefore useless for me.

I also have the DR100 reverb pedal for my son's reverb-less practice amp and it is excellent.  I don't know of another reverb in compact pedal format that sounds as good at a $30 price.

When I bought the DR100 pedal, I got Behringer's Slow Gear clone (a.k.a. "Slow Motion") thrown in for free.  I never had or built a Slow Gear, so I can't compare it to the BOSS original.  However, it is quiet and volume swells like I expect.  It's a useful pedal, sounds good and saves me the work of building and/or $$$ of buying an original Slow Gear pedal.

Behringer is definitely hit or miss on their quality (and quality control.)  I've had a MDX2200 rack compressor for years which has served me very well without a single incident.  I also have a couple REV2496 rack reverb/mod FX units, which sound great, but are the most unreliable products I've ever purchased from Behringer.  (I'm on my 3rd RMA replacement with those units. :(  I hope they get the quality control bugs worked out of the REV2496, because it sounds incredible and costs $100 US!)
If you're building or modding a DS-1, please check out my 'Build Your Own DS-1 Distortion' doc. Thanks!

signalpaths

The local guitar shop here in michigan sells used block phase 90's all the time for 50$.  +1 on Arion stuff.  I love my stereo chorus.  It beats my CE2 hands down. 
ERic

zombiwoof

Please let us know how you like this pedal, and if it's a metal or plastic box.  I've been thinking of picking one up on Ebay, and would appreciate the info.  Looks like it probably is a Phase90 clone with the modern/script switch.

Al

petemoore

What bothers me about being plastic and bearing large weight [such as with the B board...I fixed the AC wires straight in after that jack broke] is that they can't bear much weight, and you'll see them trying here and there just because..there's a mount hole in the 'hammocked' transformer [long wires out each end of ~heavy iron].
  But that EQ pedal is light enough to...sling around using any of the jacks [I think...l], and if the cables are stayed [pinned from being able to yank hard on the plastic jack/PCB mixture and case], should work just fine.
  Yea know as much talk as there was of cheep switches in them, and considering there must be thousands of year or two old pedals in use and not really much at all in the failure reports column...
  As far as the sound, yupp, EQ worked Jes like the 7 band, except lower noise.
  Phasers and the lot of LFO or even distortion based pedals, you pretty much have to know whether you're going to like the sound and features [often short and few] of the actual circuit in question with...x and y mixed in.
  I wonder how much or if other peoples not liking them has faded, now that it's been 'over' for a while.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Ry

I bought the Behringer DC-2 clone.  I like it quite a bit, I'm not sure how it compares to the real thing, as my clone has a whine that I haven't debugged yet.  For $30, it's pretty cool.

brefmint

Has anyone tried the newest line of Behringer pedals? They are Line 6 copies. The Filter Machine and the Rotary Machine look really cool...and for 40 bucks they are very tempting.
Builds-- Fuzz Face, Tubescreamer(x2), AMZ Miniboost (x3), AMZ Mosfet Boost, Rangemaster(x2), Atari Punk Console, Ruby Amp w/ Bassman mod, EA Tremolo, Java Boost,

Working on: Tube Reamer/Miniboost Combo

ambulancevoice

Quote from: brefmint on April 26, 2008, 03:06:05 AM
Has anyone tried the newest line of Behringer pedals? They are Line 6 copies. The Filter Machine and the Rotary Machine look really cool...and for 40 bucks they are very tempting.

they copied the echo one too
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

Incubus

I bought the Behringer TU-300 Digital Tuner and I love it.

I originally bought the TU-100, which was the first tuner pedal tuner they came out with. Mine was faulty along with alot of other peoples TU-100 pedals. It reads flat, and there are plenty of reviews on Harmony Central to show this.

When they came out with the next version - the TU-300, I decided to take the plunge and buy it seeing as they are so cheap.

I'm glad I did because it works perfectly so I guess they fixed the problem.

It's plastic, but in the case of a tuner, I'm not constantly stomping on it so it doesn't bother me. Depending on which pedal you buy, you'd have to take that into consideration.......an option would be to re-house the board in a metal case.

I'm happy with it anyway.

Meanderthal

Not only are they ugly cheapo plastic, they even have PLASTIC HINGE PINS. Now, I don't mind plastic pedals if they sound good and are somewhat durable, but come on now!

I have the bass limiter. Had thought it was a clone of the Boss one. Well, if it is, the Boss must suck too, because the thing adds a whole lot of hiss. Yuck.

I have a bunch of behringer stuff, and most of it is pretty good. The 2 disappointments were this and the feedback exterminator which doesn't seem to work AT ALL except as a digital EQ!
I am not responsible for your imagination.

soulsonic

I modded a Behringer VP-1 phaser for True Bypass and it made a significant improvement because with the old bypass setup, there was alot of crosstalk and noises from the effect feeding into the bypassed signal. After the simple bypass mod, the noise problems were taken care of. It doesn't quite live up to my USA Small Stone, but for the price, it holds its own.
Check out my NEW DIY site - http://solgrind.wordpress.com

Michael Weidenauer

Also had some good and some bad experience with Behringers.
My 16-ch mixer is okay considering the price  but sounds terrible compared to the mackie original.
The digital-delay (new for 40€) works well and is on my pedal board.
The Octaver (20€ new) sucked 90% of the signal (also in bypass-mode) and worked only with boosters in front and after it.
Our singer got an Behringer headphone amp that distorts like hell when you turn it up a bit (not loud enough ).
Last weekend I played a gig and most of the young guitar-players of the support bands played behringer-fx, one red fuzz-box really sounded great.

For 20-40€ I think some pedals are really great but you should try the pedal you take home.

drewl

I have a 12channel mixer from Behringer I use every weekend that sounds just fine.

The power switch crapped out a week after I got it, but I just bypassed it.....someday I'll swap it out.