How to juice up the ROG MayQueen

Started by rikkards, April 29, 2008, 10:49:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rikkards

I built the ROG MayQueen a while back and it sounds great. Well it does sound great on my Peavey Tracer which has a hotter pickup than my Epi LP. With the LP, it doesn't sound as "rich" sounding, I hope that makes sense.

I was wondering if there is any suggestions on how to modify the existing circuit to improve the sound without throwing a Booster in front. Maybe add a gain pot although by default the gain is set to max. If someone has some quidance on where to go or where to start (i.e. change this resistor and see what happens)  that would be great!
I may try rebuilding it on a proto board and start experimenting but it's a question of where to start...
Thanks!
Pedals built: Kay Fuzztone, Fuzz Face, Foxx Tone Machine, May Queen, Buffer/Booster, ROG Thor, BSIAB2, ROG Supreaux,  Electrictab JCM800 Emulator, ROG Eighteen
Present Project: '98 Jeep TJ

8mileshigh

Have you considered replacing the pickups ?  I popped a Duncan Custom Custom SH-11 into an old Lawsuit SG and it really brought the guitar to life.  The guitar now sounds very articulate played clean and overdrives nicely.  My Tokai Love Rock has pickups that are way too bland for my tastes and don't work well with my pedals.  You might want to look into Kent Armstrong or the GFS pickups, they're pretty decent in my guitars.

Chris
Builts completed: Tweak-O, Fuzz Face Si and Ge, Rangemaster,Fuzzrite Si & Ge, Bazz Fuzz, L'il Devil Fuzz, Bosstone one knober, Bosstone Sustainer, Cream Pie, Kay Fuzztone. http://www.myspace.com/chrisdarlington

alex frias

I substitute the first part of the project with a little tweaked Range Master, with a AC 188. It sounds very beefed up, but I really prefer it with my Lace Sensors and Lipsticks.
Pagan and happy!

rikkards

I have thought about it but the funny thing is any other pedal and it sounds fine. Just the May Queen :(

At some point I am thinking about it. Maybe as an anniversary gift :)

The other thing was I don't know what pickups to get. My fear is buying some pickups and hating the sound.

Quote from: 8mileshigh on April 29, 2008, 12:51:58 PM
Have you considered replacing the pickups ?  I popped a Duncan Custom Custom SH-11 into an old Lawsuit SG and it really brought the guitar to life.  The guitar now sounds very articulate played clean and overdrives nicely.  My Tokai Love Rock has pickups that are way too bland for my tastes and don't work well with my pedals.  You might want to look into Kent Armstrong or the GFS pickups, they're pretty decent in my guitars.

Chris
Pedals built: Kay Fuzztone, Fuzz Face, Foxx Tone Machine, May Queen, Buffer/Booster, ROG Thor, BSIAB2, ROG Supreaux,  Electrictab JCM800 Emulator, ROG Eighteen
Present Project: '98 Jeep TJ