feeding two (or more) circuits with the same LFO?

Started by Rodgre, April 29, 2008, 07:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodgre

I was just thinking about the DOD Vibro Thang phasor/tremolo combo and how it's one of the only analog effects that I can think of which has two separate and blendable effects driven from the same LFO. I can think of a handful of others, but this is the only inexpensive use of such a design that I can think of.

So thinking of effect circuits as "modules" that can be interchangeable, it seems that it would be really cool to have a master lfo which can be fed to different effects, to keep them in synch (or 180 degrees out!) with eachother.

My question is whether the output of an LFO would need any sort of conditioning/buffering before it is sent to multiple circuits.

For a long time, I have wanted to build a master controller module, similar to the Mooger Fooger Control Processor, which would have a master LFO, noise source, S/H and whatever else I can think of that would be useful. Any favorite LFOs for this purpose?

Roger

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Usually, I think it would be OK to just send the LFO out unbuffered.
Because, the LFO is usually coming from a fairly low impedance source, like the output of an op amp.
You will need fairly large capacitors to couple the signal though. Maybe 200 microfarad.

Rodgre

Thanks Paul.

I'll try some experiments. I built up Mick Bailey's Uglyface LFO on it's own and I currently have it driving an LED successfully, so I'll try it out as a standalone LFO with a couple of commercial pedals I have with external CV inputs (Boss Microrack Flanger and Phasor, A/DA Flanger, MoogerFooger LPF).

Roger

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Roger, be sure to let us know how you get on!