Vanishing Point as Stand alone Expression Pedal

Started by Austin73, May 02, 2008, 10:10:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Austin73

Hi everyone, just wondered if anybody had used the Vanishing point as a stand alone pedal so it can be used with say Line 6 Filter Mod or Midi Controller with expression input.

I find when I stick my Boss EV5 into most things I get a good response and thats 10k so is that what I should be aiming for . I presume the units to control look for a varying 5volt that gives the sweep.

Looking at controlling maybe FM4, GT3 or Mitigator so I can have sequenced parts and thought it would be kinda fun too! What does that sound like - silly or valid point.

Any input gratefully received as always.

Cheers

Aus
Bazz Fuss, Red LLama, Harmonic Jerkulator, LoFo MoFo, NPN Boost, Bronx Cheer, AB Box, Dual Loop, Crash Sync

Processaurus

I'd like to do this too! The only weird thing is that there isn't a universal standard for expression pedal control.   Some have a TRS connection and are wired like a volume control (tip wired to the wiper). 

The line 6 is an oddball, wired as a TS cable and uses a 10K resistance to ground.  I think it puts out about 3v, no load, I'm guessing you don't have to or want to muck around with LDRs to use an actual resistance, you could just source a voltage 0-3v.

The newer boss stuff uses the formerly mentioned TRS system, the newer pedals seem to use 0-3.3v

I was trying to figure out a good way to do it universally, I think you could do it universally for the TRS volume control type by using the voltage coming in on the ring connection to electronically scale the sequencer CV to the right range.

Or, if it's just a thing for you and not something unaquainted musicians have to deal with, you would know what the right voltage is for each pedal etc. and could have a different jack for say, 0-3.3v, 0-5v, 0-3v for line 6.

Here's a thread all about different commercial expression pedals:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=51279.0
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=34201.0

Austin73

Hi Ben,

Cheers for the input. I was also wondering if it was possible to run more than one expression loop of the vanishing point thus giving you control over more than one fx at once all in time. Or maybe if having a quick look at the data you could have switched outputs to allow for Line 6 and Boss etc

Will wake up later and think about it lol

Aus
Bazz Fuss, Red LLama, Harmonic Jerkulator, LoFo MoFo, NPN Boost, Bronx Cheer, AB Box, Dual Loop, Crash Sync

Processaurus

Absolutely.

I have a music from outer space cv sequencer PCB set that I haven't done anything with, maybe I ought to dig it out.  Sequencing the FM-4's formant filter patch in particular I'd like to have in the bag of tricks.  There's a ring mod kicking around as well that I'd like to try out a sequencer with, to lash together a kind of poor man's Zvex Ringtone.

Austin73

Ben,

I'll keep you posted, I've been talking to a modular synth man about this - I have know idea what he was on about lol

Seriously though he thinks maybe output of sequencer to a buffer of some sort and then specific outs for each unit. Then you can have all 3 running in time so to speak but yeah Line 6 would be cool with sequencer but really want to put it into my Lake Butler Foot controller so I can have fun with Midi - maybe my whammy pedal!

Aus