Orgainizing Your Workspace (56K warning)

Started by kurtlives, May 02, 2008, 10:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caress

Quote from: cloudscapes on May 13, 2008, 07:42:45 AM
I love caress' pic! it's totally a dank-looking dungeon with single light source and pipes and stains oozing down the walls, but in the middle you have a high-tech apple glowing techno blue and a couple of nice monitors to the sides.  :icon_mrgreen:

thats funny.  i actually live in a big warehouse in brooklyn and that is a wierd little room in the middle of the space.  i'm working on decorating, but it's been a VERY slow process...

earthtonesaudio

My shed:

I have to duck my head a little while standing.  Don't worry, the Mac lives inside! :)

zachomega

Strangely, I have the guts that fit into that CS9. 

-Zach

kurtlives

I had a original broken PCB for it. I salvaged a few components then threw it out. I don't know what I am going to use the enclosure for.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

zachomega

Want to sell it to me on the cheap?  :D 

-Zach 

Quote from: kurtlives on May 13, 2008, 11:12:11 PM
I had a original broken PCB for it. I salvaged a few components then threw it out. I don't know what I am going to use the enclosure for.

frank_p

It is expanding in the house.  ;D
My second experimentation corner.
I think it may be kind of psychedelic (to stimulate creativity)  :P
I needed more light because working for too long in the basement is making moss grow on me...

Now I can go higher than in the lab in the basement...
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=67537.msg541015#msg541015

kurtlives

Nice space!

I like the bookshelf. I need to et one with my expanding collection of elec books.

I need to get me a scope too. :(
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

Satch12879

Your stock list reminds me that I desperately have to do inventory as I have boxes of parts for pseudo-prototype production units that are floating in limbo.  An Excel sheet would GREATLY help you out.

Also, you're rock box labeling is fantastic.  It totally reminds me of something Calvin from "Calvin and Hobbes" would do if he was more organized.  I mean, even your handwriting is the same as Calvin's in the comic strip! ;D
Passive sucks.

Progressive Sound, Ltd.
progressivesoundltd@yahoo.com

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

frank_p

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave) on July 13, 2008, 01:43:46 AM
Lovely bit of art, Frank P! Nice!

It was made in 95 I think: I finished arts, liked Germans Expressionists. But was aiming in Kandinsky and HundertWasser.
This painting has been turning in rounds and eating herself for months.

I was too precise, and it ws too big. (6fts*6)

jonjon

do i win the most unorganized work space? ;D

Quote from: any on May 10, 2008, 08:58:01 PM

Can't wait to buy a temperature controlled solder station again though,

i'm in wellington too, have you got a temp controlled soldering iron yet? i just got the one in the pic for my b'day ( love my girl)
they are new to jaycar $60. nice thin tip
they also have just started stocking 3PDT switches , pretty happy about that
john

zachary vex

When I'm working it tends to get really messy, so a large work surface area is key for me, so I can keep shifting from place to place looking for a clean spot on the bench.  8^)

frank_p

purplepencil

Quote from: jonjon on July 13, 2008, 06:20:19 AM
jaycar...

They'd just come in to my local on the weekend! I'm over the moon about them. Little bit pricey, but nothing really compares to a good steel toggle switch. I was considering electronic switching, but it doesn't quite have the feel of the toggle, plus you have to find space for another circuit board.

purplepencil

Hey guys, thought I'd share my method for organising resistors.

Basically, get yourself an index card holder and a stack of white envelopes. Label the envelopes with the resistor value, and away you go. Planning to do this for film caps when I get some more.

Much better than drawers if you only have a small number of resistors - it's cheaper and you have room for more values.

jonjon

thats a great idea . i am having trouble finding small draws locally
john

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

jonjon, I have seen messier spaces, but yours is the only one with a GENUINE breadboard!! :icon_eek: :icon_biggrin:

DougH

Quote from: purplepencil on July 14, 2008, 07:47:43 AM
Hey guys, thought I'd share my method for organising resistors.

Basically, get yourself an index card holder and a stack of white envelopes. Label the envelopes with the resistor value, and away you go. Planning to do this for film caps when I get some more.

Much better than drawers if you only have a small number of resistors - it's cheaper and you have room for more values.

That's a nice idea. I may do that, thanks!

I currently stick "ranges" of resistor values in subdivided parts drawers. But the plastic subdividers pop loose sometimes and it's a mess. Envelopes seem to make a lot more sense.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

jonjon

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave) on July 14, 2008, 08:52:17 AM
jonjon, I have seen messier spaces, but yours is the only one with a GENUINE breadboard!! :icon_eek: :icon_biggrin:
yeah its the real deal. But i still cant work out how/where  you guys stick the components in ;D
john

any

Quote from: jonjon on July 13, 2008, 06:20:19 AM

Quote from: any on May 10, 2008, 08:58:01 PM

Can't wait to buy a temperature controlled solder station again though,

i'm in wellington too, have you got a temp controlled soldering iron yet? i just got the one in the pic for my b'day ( love my girl)
they are new to jaycar $60. nice thin tip

Nope, no solder station yet, might be soon though as I have some plans for a small production run.
I didn't know Jaycar had 3PDT's? behind the counter?? btw, try some of their 2N3053 NPN Transistors, their pretty good
for brutal fuzzes!

Cheers
It's supposed to sound that way.