How important is transistor matching in a Neovibe?

Started by Nitefly182, May 25, 2008, 04:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nitefly182

Ive heard that the 12 transistors are supposed to be martched  for gain in a neovibe but I dont really have a gain measuring setup on my multimeter or elsewhere. Is the matching particularly important or will 12 good quality parts be close enough to do the job right?

plankspank

Good quality parts are all you will need. I've built one with off the shelf BJT's from Mouser and it works great- I would not worry about matching: BJT's are not like JFETS.Your biggest circuit variable will be the bulb / photo resistors / lite box combo.

Nitefly182

Quote from: plankspank on May 25, 2008, 05:40:57 PM
Good quality parts are all you will need. I've built one with off the shelf BJT's from Mouser and it works great- I would not worry about matching: BJT's are not like JFETS.Your biggest circuit variable will be the bulb / photo resistors / lite box combo.

Thanks! I think Ive got that pretty figured out via sheet metal bending. I assume the bulb and vintage style LDRs from smallbear will do the trick.

R.G.

Quote from: Nitefly182 on May 25, 2008, 04:58:54 PM
Ive heard that the 12 transistors are supposed to be martched  for gain in a neovibe but I dont really have a gain measuring setup on my multimeter or elsewhere. Is the matching particularly important or will 12 good quality parts be close enough to do the job right?
Go tell whomever told you that matching was necessary to stop spreading info they really don't know anything about. Matching is not important in the neovibe.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.