A silly power switch question

Started by cpnyc23, June 07, 2008, 02:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpnyc23

I'm going to add a power switch to my Ruby amp so I don't have to keep unplugging it.  This i know how to do w/ a SPST and the power running from the battery to the board.

What I do want to do and I am not totally sure of is how would I add an LED?  I believe I need to use a DPDT for the switch but how exactly do I wire this?  I'm feeling a little silly for not knowing this but I would love some help

Thanks
-chris
"I've traveled the world and never seen a statue of a critic."    -  Leonard Bernstein

aron

Chris, look at the beginner project or the FAQ. It shows you how to connect an LED to your project. Just a resistor and LED.

cpnyc23

Aron - thanks, but...

I am thinking about using a toggle as an on/off rather than using DPDT or 3PDT bypass switching.  I would like to completely kill the power to the circuit while allowing me to leave the input cord connected.  I currently have my Ruby set up w/ a stereo input jack to complete the circuit when a mono plug is inserted.  What I want to do is figure out where I connect the resistor and LED in relation to the + & - power supply when using a toggle switch.

Sorry if I am not explaining myself properly...

-chrsi
"I've traveled the world and never seen a statue of a critic."    -  Leonard Bernstein

rikkards

If I am reading this right, put the LED and resistor in parallel with the circuit but have the toggle break the circuit ground from the negative side of the power source. I am sure some of the experts can attest if this is ideal. Not sure if this will cause popping or noise but it would definitely work. The moment you cut the circuit ground from the negative side of the power source, you have broken the loop and since electricity needs a complete circuit to flow, the LED should go off.

Quote from: cpnyc23 on June 07, 2008, 03:21:02 PM
Aron - thanks, but...

I am thinking about using a toggle as an on/off rather than using DPDT or 3PDT bypass switching.  I would like to completely kill the power to the circuit while allowing me to leave the input cord connected.  I currently have my Ruby set up w/ a stereo input jack to complete the circuit when a mono plug is inserted.  What I want to do is figure out where I connect the resistor and LED in relation to the + & - power supply when using a toggle switch.

Sorry if I am not explaining myself properly...

-chrsi
Pedals built: Kay Fuzztone, Fuzz Face, Foxx Tone Machine, May Queen, Buffer/Booster, ROG Thor, BSIAB2, ROG Supreaux,  Electrictab JCM800 Emulator, ROG Eighteen
Present Project: '98 Jeep TJ

GibsonGM

That will work great for low voltage switching, it is the same as input jack switching.  Remember, in higher voltages/currents, the switch goes in the hot line for safety (not an issue here, though!).
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

cpnyc23

rikkards

Thanks, I will keep that in mind! I flipped a coin and always used ground.

Quote from: GibsonGM on June 07, 2008, 05:23:08 PM
That will work great for low voltage switching, it is the same as input jack switching.  Remember, in higher voltages/currents, the switch goes in the hot line for safety (not an issue here, though!).
Pedals built: Kay Fuzztone, Fuzz Face, Foxx Tone Machine, May Queen, Buffer/Booster, ROG Thor, BSIAB2, ROG Supreaux,  Electrictab JCM800 Emulator, ROG Eighteen
Present Project: '98 Jeep TJ

GibsonGM

Totally cool for 9V applications....when you're getting up in the 20, 30V range with ability to deliver more than 100mA, you then make sure you're switching the hot, is all. 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...