newb audio probe question

Started by fogwolf, June 16, 2008, 03:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fogwolf

I wanted to build an audio probe but am a little confused about 2 things. Here's the one I was mainly looking at:

http://diyguitarist.com/PDF_Files/DIY-AudioTester.pdf

I don't quite follow the part with the cut/split in the actual cable itself. Am I supposed to splice something into the instrument cable I'm using to test as well? I looked at the image of the one on the geofex site and while not quite as detailed as this diagram it doesn't mention anything like that.

Also, sorry if this is a dumb question, but where on my amp exactly would I connect the ground clip of the probe?

Thanks!

MusicAudio

- You want to connect the ground wire on the probe to ground on your effect.
- Leave the guitar cable as it is, you solder the probe cable(s) to a 1/4" mono jack - make sure you solder the ground wire to the barrel contact and the signal wire to the tip contact (not the actual contacts - the tabs on the jack that correspond to the contacts).

As far as probe wire goes, you can us a coaxial wire or two independant wires - it's your choice.

Hope that helps - let me know if I can clarify further.

-mike
I don't care much about music. What I like is sounds.
-Dizzy Gillespie

fogwolf

Thanks! I had just read somewhere to use a ground connection on the guitar amp you'll be testing with but it sounds like the effect ground will work.

Quote from: MusicAudio on June 16, 2008, 03:34:34 PM
- You want to connect the ground wire on the probe to ground on your effect.
- Leave the guitar cable as it is, you solder the probe cable(s) to a 1/4" mono jack - make sure you solder the ground wire to the barrel contact and the signal wire to the tip contact (not the actual contacts - the tabs on the jack that correspond to the contacts).

As far as probe wire goes, you can us a coaxial wire or two independant wires - it's your choice.

Hope that helps - let me know if I can clarify further.

-mike

MusicAudio

I guess a more general way to put it is that you want to ground to whatever device you are probing.

-mike
I don't care much about music. What I like is sounds.
-Dizzy Gillespie

fogwolf

Makes sense. Thanks.

Quote from: MusicAudio on June 16, 2008, 04:28:44 PM
I guess a more general way to put it is that you want to ground to whatever device you are probing.

-mike