cheap multimeter with gain testing?

Started by fogwolf, June 16, 2008, 03:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fogwolf

I couldn't find the 9202 at Hosfelt - they only one they have now is $75. Anyone recommend a cheap DMM with gain testing for transistors?

Thanks.

rnfr

i just found this one the other day at amazon.   dirt cheap, not sure about the QC though.  didnt have any reviews last i checked.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000W472BE/ref=ord_cart_shr?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=AD3LNW5KGKKO3&v=glance

Minion

Look on e-bay...I got on that measures practicly everything for under $20...It does, all the regular stuff (Volts,amps,resistance,temp,AC/DC) but also does Capacitance, Hfe,Diode , continuity and a whole bunch of other stuff that I can"t think of right now....

I"m sure you can find a suitable one for much cheaper than you are going to get a a store...

Cheers
Go to bed with itchy Bum , wake up with stinky finger !!

fogwolf

Thanks for the suggestions!

Quote from: Minion on June 16, 2008, 04:04:19 PM
Look on e-bay...I got on that measures practicly everything for under $20...It does, all the regular stuff (Volts,amps,resistance,temp,AC/DC) but also does Capacitance, Hfe,Diode , continuity and a whole bunch of other stuff that I can"t think of right now....

I"m sure you can find a suitable one for much cheaper than you are going to get a a store...

Cheers

fogwolf

Found this one for dirt cheap:

http://www.thomasdistributingshop.com/Cen-Tech-7-Function-Multi-Tester_p_158-1335.html

Question about this one:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000W472BE/ref=ord_cart_shr?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=AD3LNW5KGKKO3&v=glance

Mentions it tests capicitance - will this provide what I would need for building effects pedals and synth modules as far as testing capacitors goes? I've seen links somewhere on the site to stand-alone capacitance testers so I wasn't sure.

Thanks!

Quote from: Minion on June 16, 2008, 04:04:19 PM

Cheers

slacker

It can measure capacitors up to 20uF so it will be fine for stompboxes.

The HFE measurement on multimeters is useful but you can only use it for silicon transistors, if you want to measure germanium transistors you need something like  R.G.s tester

fogwolf

Thanks!

Quote from: slacker on June 17, 2008, 04:22:11 PM
It can measure capacitors up to 20uF so it will be fine for stompboxes.

The HFE measurement on multimeters is useful but you can only use it for silicon transistors, if you want to measure germanium transistors you need something like  R.G.s tester

Mich P

darron

the local electronics shops always sell DMMs for like $5 with all the normal features, and very good tolerance. they have gain readings.
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!