spdt on-off-on - choosing between 2 resistors but the middle position is off

Started by jimbob, June 16, 2008, 09:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbob

I have a spdt switch i wired to switch between 2 different resistors with the middle for common. The problem is I didnt realize this was the on- on- on as the others so when I switch between the 2 choices theres 3 positions.

What can I do with this and still keep the 2 choices without the dead middle. O r is there something else I can do with the middle? Does it have to be off?
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

GibsonGM

You could jump one side to the middle and it would be "on-on-and the same on as the middle" (SPST), I guess....
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

MarcoMike

mh... not really sure about that solution... you would have the selection bertween R1 and R1parallelR2

Instead there are many wiring options that result in a 3 resistors selection:

°--------res1---|
°   °                    |
|   °--------res2---|---a
|            |
|---res3--
|------------------------b

this is one of those... options are: R1p(R2sR3), (R3sR2), R2 

s:series, p:parallel
Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible.