Axis Face on an Analogman board- NPN-

Started by jimbob, June 19, 2008, 11:20:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbob

Axis Face on an Analogman board- NPN-

So I built the Axis Fuzz and its GREAT! 3 knobs and 3 switches!! To begin with, I added a spdt switch to choose between 330 ohm and 1.5k, a 3pdt switch to choose between Q2 with a 2n2222 and a bd 139 transistor, a spdt switch to choose between input caps= a 2.2 and 4.7 electro (I played around with different ones from .22, .01, .1, 1uf, 2.2, and 4.7) and the 2.2 and 4.7 I liked those best with my set up. I also added a switch to choose between the output caps .01 and .1uf (bass/less base). I also added a 10kb bias pot instead of the 8.2k resistor- that was really needed! Next I added a smooth control which is basically a 100kb pot just before the input cap/s (it seems to smooth out what fizzies there are and adds a little volume. The transistors were Q1 pn2369a and Q2/3= are Bd139 and 2n2222.I really can't tell too much of a difference between the 2 transistors when I switch them. Next, I used a .033 cap as Fuzz Central suggests parallel to the 1.5k. The typical 500ka volume pot for Fuzz Faces is now 100ka. The fuzz pot is a 1kb. The next mod was adding a power supply filtering capacitor, in this case a 100µF underneath the board.

Other than that I just have to add a 1m pull down resistor to the input and a 100pf cap between the collector of Q1 and Q2 in order to remove any extra "jagged" highs, and to help prevent RF interference.

I'm super impressed!! I really didn't expect a silicon transistor based Fuzz would sound so decent/great! Im really not sure what my favorite fuzz is now between the germanium fuzzes and now silicon. Anyways, thanks to Jack Orman(yaff) /Fuzzcentral/GEO/ for all the info from their site, as well as to Dragonfly for that pic of the switchable transistor 3pdt mod. This really is one versatile Fuzz!
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

JT

jimbob

No- pics yet. Its still mostly spaghetti and switches.

Update though.

I found a few new mods I didn't know about I tried. I found these from the beavis audio website http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/FuzzLab/FuzzCloneMods_V2.gif

The Phatt  mod didn't  do so much for me. It seemed to cut the fuzz and volume A LOT. The Howl of Flaming Death mod was AWSOME! I think there can be a lot of uses with it. It does just as it describes about the bizarre and tunable frequency.

This thing is turning into a monster!! But I cant stop. Ill find more room for more switches and pots.

I need more IDEAS and MODS for everything for clarity/fuzziness/bizarre etc.. though.

Anyone???

"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"