Rat schematic reading- can anyone explain this?

Started by jimbob, July 03, 2008, 12:23:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbob

[url][http://www.tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=89/url]

Ok. So I don't get it. I'm wanting to switch 2 different pairs of diodes for the Rat and looking at the schematic and then the layout it doesn't make sense to me. I would assume that I would place a lead (diode set) from one lug of the switch to just before d1 (right after the 1k) and the other just before the 100k filter. THIS is according to the SCHEMATIC.

But, looking at the layout I would place a lead just after the 1k (just before the  D2) and the other lead just after the D2 (the area in green where d1 and d2 connect.

Can anyone make sense of this for me???

My plan it to wire a spdt switch to choose between a set of LEDs and 1n914's
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

ianmgull

Hey, I'm not sure if I'm understanding your question exactly but I'll give it a go.

I think you are trying to read the schematic in to much of a linear fashion. From the 1k to the filter pot there are 4 conections (on side of the 1k resistor, two diode connections, and lug three of the pot). It doesn't matter for all practical puroses where they are in relation to each other, just that they are all connected by the same trace.

The trace in green that you were referring to (that the diode pair connects to) is the ground trace. If you are planning on using a SPDT, I would wire from the blue trace (right after the 1k) to the common (middle) lug of the switch. You could even use one of the pads that the diodes are currently in. Then run a diode pair on each side of the switch's outer lugs to ground (green trace). Hope this helps.

ian

jimbob

Perfect- Just what i was thinking/looking for. And- I think I was looking at it too linear.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

Processaurus

Hi, you can use a spdt center off toggle switch to get a third, usable option: a cleanish ratty boost, that gets loud and is mostly undistorted.  I like the lowest gain setting on the rat as an EQ kind of effect to give guitar some ratty character but still be fairly clean.  There might be some unique distortion in there still, just from the unique slew distortion coming from the opamp.

Just wire it like the above poster, the LEDs clipping on one side, the Si diodes on the other, and in the middle, center off position, neither is connected, so you get the "clean", super loud rat boost.

ambulancevoice

Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money