more gain for supa nova?

Started by awitee, July 04, 2008, 08:21:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

awitee

high how do i get more gain in the supa nova from GGG?
i tried the included mods indicated in the pdf which says that i can increase the r12 from 470k to 1.5m for more gain, i tried that, and now im using 2.2m but still isnt enough gain
sounds more like a high gain OD instead of a distortion, what other mods can i apply? im biasing q2 at 5.3v and q3 at 4.7v
can i just increase the drive pot to 1m?

petemoore

the two gain stages already have emitter resistor bypass capacitors.
  R7, 68k 'could be reduced for a bit more gain, prehaps an above board parallel resistor for resistance reduction there.
  Other than add a gain stage, I don't see many places where opportunities to increase gain haven't been exploited.
   Link to schematic
  http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/supanova.pdf

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

awitee

hmm ok ill try that, thanks man!

petemoore

Forgot to type about eliminating the tonestack [ie 'not reduce gain...] for extra kick, by lifting the ground connection of the 'middle' pot, and turning the knobs, it looks like the passive losses can mostly be eliminated, will be louder, and...less filtered sounding, can't say except try both ideas to find out which one's more usable, Boost might do good and is less invasive.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

awitee

so ill basically take out the mid control? tone control is dependent on the treble ?