New Effect: Microtubes 2k (Cmos Design)

Started by zencafe, July 14, 2008, 03:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fancy Lime

Quote from: ElectricDruid on September 18, 2024, 05:59:06 PM
Quote from: Fancy Lime on September 18, 2024, 04:32:54 PMWhich part do you not understand? For Ground Zero, I was going with Merriam Websters second definition "the center or origin of rapid, intense, or violent activity or change". And Darkglass is arguably the most influential company for heavy music bass tones since Tech21.
I'm not a bass player, heavy or otherwise, and I've never heard of Darkglass. :icon_redface:  It sounds more like a series of YA fantasy fiction books, TBH.

Yes, the names of the pedals, amps, onboard electronics, DAW plugins and whatnot definitely seem designed to appeal to the the "Dragons and Wizards and Scantily Clad Maidens on Horseback by Moonlight"-Metal crowd. You kno the ones, they wear their music taste on the T-shirts. Their black T-shirts or hoodies in the middle of summer. Good marketing strategy, though. And Darkglass seems especially popular with the modern progressive metal ("djent") crowd.
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!

Slowpoke101

Quote from: Fancy Lime on September 18, 2024, 11:53:57 PM
Quote from: ElectricDruid on September 18, 2024, 05:59:06 PM
Quote from: Fancy Lime on September 18, 2024, 04:32:54 PMWhich part do you not understand? For Ground Zero, I was going with Merriam Websters second definition "the center or origin of rapid, intense, or violent activity or change". And Darkglass is arguably the most influential company for heavy music bass tones since Tech21.
I'm not a bass player, heavy or otherwise, and I've never heard of Darkglass. :icon_redface:  It sounds more like a series of YA fantasy fiction books, TBH.

Yes, the names of the pedals, amps, onboard electronics, DAW plugins and whatnot definitely seem designed to appeal to the the "Dragons and Wizards and Scantily Clad Maidens on Horseback by Moonlight"-Metal crowd. You kno the ones, they wear their music taste on the T-shirts. Their black T-shirts or hoodies in the middle of summer. Good marketing strategy, though. And Darkglass seems especially popular with the modern progressive metal ("djent") crowd.

I've always thought of "Darkglass" as referring to the ICs in the effects units instead of having valves (tubes) without the heaters turned on. In some things I've always been rather simpleminded. But they are good sounding effects.
  • SUPPORTER

ElectricDruid

Quote from: Slowpoke101 on September 19, 2024, 02:42:11 AMI've always thought of "Darkglass" as referring to the ICs in the effects units instead of having valves (tubes) without the heaters turned on. In some things I've always been rather simpleminded. But they are good sounding effects.
Ooh, yeah...reminds me of those old black glass germanium transistors - OC73's and stuff.

I checked out their website and a lot of the things looked decidedly modern. Lots of fancy LEDs and touch-sensitive strips. Looked like some very complicated and fancy interface on some circuits that might not be so sophisticated. But you've got to differentitate yourself somehow in the effects world (<edit>..and I'm totally down with that - thart's the name of the game).

marcelomd

AFAICR "Darkglass" is just something Douglas Castro thought sounded cool.

The main public of Darkglass sure is the metal crowd. But the pedals are really versatile.

Check this:

Amos has a bunch of Darkglass demos. Lots of cool not-metal tones.