News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

score!

Started by eleanor296, July 17, 2008, 09:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eleanor296

My dad just brought me a bunch of transistors, some FETs, and tons of other stuff.
Most of the parts are over 25 years old, and from Germany (he was a learned electrical engineer before switching to management).
Most of those parts I have never seen before, some are in metal cans which I've never dealt with,
so I was just gonna ask if you guys might consider assisting me with picking out what's actually useful for audio and what's not?
From what I understand, parts that old would be considered "NOS", and there ***might*** be some pretty cool, coveted transistors in there...
I just haven't had a chance to sort it all out yet.

So... will you guys help me?  If I find anything in there that anybody particularly wants, I wouldn't mind selling some of'em either.

Thanks already!
Oh, and please excuse my bad phrasing... I'm German, and my English isn't the greatest.

~Andy

yodude

Look for a metal can with three legs and "NKT 275".

eleanor296

Quote from: yodude on July 17, 2008, 10:05:18 PM

and that is because?

Oh... speaking of which... I've built some boxes, but I'm just now getting into "the physics of it".
... with a book about electronics that's also 25 years old lol.
So excuse my ignorance.  I try to never ask questions without doing a lot of research first myself in order to find the answer.

paperhouse

Quote from: eleanor296 on July 17, 2008, 10:08:41 PM
Quote from: yodude on July 17, 2008, 10:05:18 PM

and that is because?

they are scarce Ge transistors that supposedly sound really good in a fuzz face. one of the more valuable Ge transistors out there.

eleanor296

cool, thanks.  Knowing my luck there probably isn't one of those in there.  We'll see  :icon_mrgreen:

any

Regarding transistors, just write down the codes they are stamped with and post them here.
Anything you think is way unusual, post a picture for visual identification.
For most of us geeky pedal creeps we consider identifying vintage parts to be "fun" or even "exiting"...  :P
It's supposed to sound that way.

newfish

...with your book of electronics 25 years old...

Well, Physics never goes out of style, right?

The laws defined in your book still apply today, and will apply until something large and squishy happens to this dust-ball we're riding on.

I found an old book on Ameteur Radio kit - with a nice chapter on valves (the book is from the early 70s at the latest...)

Would anyone be interested in a scan (once I have the rest of my PC set up?)
Happiness is a warm etchant bath.

selectortone

Google is your friend.

Seriously - there's almost always a data sheet and application notes on just about any useful component on the 'net somewhere.

eleanor296

ok,
thanks for the replies.  Once I sort everything out, which won't be today since I don't just sniff solder fumes but also play guitar every once in a while  :icon_twisted:,
I'll google everything but also post a list here.  Maybe somebody will get something out of it  :icon_mrgreen: