EA/Kay Tremolo hybrid - would it work?

Started by DuoSonicboy, July 21, 2008, 04:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuoSonicboy

Would it be possible to use the MOSFET boost stage from the ROG EA trem:

and the square wave LFO from the Kay trem:

to get a square wave trem with a decent preamp?  If so, where would one make the splice?

Alternatively, could one use any boost stage (like a SHO, for example) with the Kay LFO?

Faber

Quote from: DuoSonicboy on July 21, 2008, 04:59:56 PM
Would it be possible to use the MOSFET boost stage from the ROG EA trem:

and the square wave LFO from the Kay trem:

to get a square wave trem with a decent preamp?  If so, where would one make the splice?

Well, unless I'm miserably mistaken, the BJT on the far right of the Kay is a gain stage, so I guess you could take that out and splice in everything from the 100K trimpot to the volume pot, except for the 22uF cap and JFET.

Quote from: DuoSonicboy on July 21, 2008, 04:59:56 PM
Alternatively, could one use any boost stage (like a SHO, for example) with the Kay LFO?

Well, the first thing I thought of when I saw that first gain stage was "LPB2":  http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=72&Itemid=26

You could always breadboard and find out  :D

DuoSonicboy

That's about what I figured.  I'll get a hold of the parts and check it out - I assume I'd use everything to the left of the coupled trasistors in the Kay trem then?

Faber

I'd scrap everything that has to do with the gain stage on the Kay:
the 4k7, 470k, 43k, .1uF, NPN, .01uF, 33k, and 100k
And replace it with the MOSFET from the EA.

If you wanted to be really good, you could just replace that 100K (after the .01uF) with the 100K pot from the EA  ;D

DuoSonicboy

Quote from: Faber on July 22, 2008, 12:33:56 AM
I'd scrap everything that has to do with the gain stage on the Kay:
the 4k7, 470k, 43k, .1uF, NPN, .01uF, 33k, and 100k
And replace it with the MOSFET from the EA.

If you wanted to be really good, you could just replace that 100K (after the .01uF) with the 100K pot from the EA  ;D

'tis the plan sir, 'tis the plan 8)

Faber