Joe Gagan Easy Face or Fulltone 69?

Started by scott1568, July 23, 2008, 04:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scott1568

I can't decide about which one to build (germanium) from GGG. Any suggestions or experience with either circuit? I know most would say build them both.

soulsonic

I say build the Easy Face because Joe Gagan is a cool, friendly guy; can't say the same for Mr. Fuller.
Check out my NEW DIY site - http://solgrind.wordpress.com

greigoroth

Check out Joe's cliips on youtube - the dude is a one man encyclopaedia of rocking tone!
Built: GGG Green Ringer

petemoore

Any suggestions or experience with either circuit?
  All of 'em...then some more...lol.
  Yupp, FF's.
  See GEO 'technology of the Fuzz FAce"....it kikked my butt the first time.
  Then see Fuzzcentral 'Axis Face'.
  And AMZ YAFF.
  1rst FF ?
  Don't forget to socket the transistors and trimpot [20k Q2 collector resistor.
  The input cap can be 'trimmed' easily enough by splicing another in the offboard wire.
  Gainpot is easy enough to adjust, but see Smallbear Electronics for the FF gainpot with correct taper.
  A 'De-Yaff-ing' switch would be a switched connection across Q1E resistor.
  Speaking of 'easy', the easy face isn't a 'beginners FF' [compare schematic topologies and values].. and tends to hold a more stable bias than a Ge/Ge FF.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

davent

Recently finished up an Easy Face and it's the only pedal i've used since then, sounds great! Working up a Skyripper now. No experience with your other option.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

jimbob

QuoteSee GEO 'technology of the Fuzz FAce"....it kikked my butt the first time.
  Then see Fuzzcentral 'Axis Face'.
  And AMZ YAFF.

Thats the route I go often and in that order. I really get a lot of use from the Axis Face ideas
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

SteveB

I can't speak for the Easy Face, but I really like the 69 clone I built. Many sonic options with the 4 knobs. So easy to build, too.

Steve

scott1568

Thanks to all for the replies. Especially thanks to petemoore, I will keep those mod options in mind.

Yes, this is my first Fuzz Face. I did build a Triangle Muff from BYOC that turned out successful, but it doesn't quite do it for me tonewise. I am a Doyle fan as well as other FF users. I looking for the ability to clean up at lower guitar volumes, with just a  touch of hair. I guess from the tones I have heard form other FF users, I like the overall sound better.

thanks

DougH

I think the Easy Face is a good basic FF that is simple to build. Add the "pre" tone and gain controls Joe used and there are a lot of sounds you can get from it, and a lot of amps/guitars you can use it with. I breadboarded the Fulltone '70 once and I think it's a nice twist on the FF idea. It adds some mild feedback/shunt diode clipping and has more of a refined sound. Some day I may get to that one. I don't know anything about the '69.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

mojotron

Ya - if you want to just build one - the Axis Face is the best overall. But, nothing beats a GGG Ge based 'Boutique Fuzz' - however you will have to have some deep pockets to find some transistors you like - could take 20 to find one set. That's not a problem if you follow the advice while building the Axis Face Si.