All You Masters of the Build....maybe you can help.

Started by TheBlackCrayon, July 24, 2008, 07:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBlackCrayon

I had a Deluxe Memory Man stolen a few months back at a gig here in LA. I've never seen a clone of one or maybe I'm not looking hard enough. I'm very new in this world and have just recently decided to start building effects. It would rock more than anything if any of you knew how to build a DMM clone or something similar. I don't have the means to buy anything right now besides my first project kit. I would appreciate any help, my band just landed a small record deal and we'll be going into the studio this summer. We are in dire need of some killer pedals. We're influenced by the psychedelic rock sounds of the 60's and 70's, I'm sure there are plenty of you that have built some boxes with the that era in mind. If anyone has anything laying around that you just don't use or don't need, we'd be highly greatful for the help. Or if is interested in featuring a pedal on our album we'd give you credit on record and promote your box on the road.
I am young, I am strong, I know the lyrics to every song...
http://www.myspace.com/theblackcrayons

sfx

The DMM is expensive because of all those wonderful delay chips inside it, so its not going to be a cheap build anyway. Not to mention the circuit itself is pretty complex for an effect pedal.

any

Have a look at Slacker's "Echo Base" there's a recent thread about it, it's reasonably cheap to build and will do modulated delays.
IMHO, be prepared to get more experienced in building pedals first before starting on such a project or you will have a hell of a time debugging
it afterwards. It might work first go if you strictly and neatly follow the layout and work focused and tidy.... ehrm yeah...

A Dano PB&J might be a good solution in the short term, often a studio will have a small collection of effects of their own as well.
So if you're really tied up you might be able to get the sound without having the money...

Building pedals is fun and rewarding, but cheap?

Cheers,
It's supposed to sound that way.