VL Micro Vibe: Any Chorus Mods Out there?

Started by aarondavis, August 18, 2008, 10:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aarondavis

I'm assuming that since this pedal utilizes a vibrato and a phaser to create the faux speaker sim, it could be modded to do a chorus sound too.  Anyone know about this?  Also, it seems that it could be modded to do a vibrato only too?  You know, some 3 position switch that is Univibe/Vibe only/Chorus. 

I know this might be kinda ambitious, but seems like a cool project to learn from.  I've modded multiple pedals with decent instructions, so what do ya think? 

petemoore

Not exactly a mod-friendly pedal, but I suppose it could be done.
  Starting with a schematic of course, I don't know if one's available.
  And...that trimpot...the one you really need to void the warranty to adjust [mine just went wih wih until I re-set the bias trimpot, at which point it began doing a much full sounding phase sweep].
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

SteveB

It's actually a pitch bent signal combined with the straight signal that gives the phasing. Hearing the pitch bent side only is what gives you the vibrato function. It would be possible to add the vibrato function back in by breaking the mixing point between the dry & modulated signal. Study the Uni-Vibe & Neovibe schematics out there, & notice where the vibrato/chorus switch is inserted into the path.

For all univibes, their offshoots & clones, "chorus" is generally more like phase shifting instead of '80's chorus. I don't think one of those could be modded to sound like '80's chorus.