Ibanez Tonelok Fuzz

Started by DWBH, August 20, 2008, 11:09:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DWBH

I bought this fuzz some days ago. I tried it out at my friend's place, and used a Epi SG through a Peavey Royal 8.
When I tried it with my setup - telecaster through my modded Harley Benton GA5 - it sounded much more darker.
I didn't like it as much as I did when I tried it the first time. I still need to find a perfect spot.

Has anyone else tried out/has this pedal. Have you carried out any modifications to it?

DWBH

DWBH

After some time with it, I'm not happy.
I want to do some mods, reduce the gain, put it more controlled. It's very.... violent.
I want it to be a fuzz, yeah, but I want it to have less gain, a better tone control, and a bit more responsive.

Here's the schem:
http://www.schematicx.com/schematic/ibanez-fz7-fuzz-schematic/

If somebody could take a look at the schem and give me some pointers were to start, I'd be thankful.

André

DougH

That's a tall order, as that's a fairly complex schematic for just a fuzz. I would suggest poking around in the section in the middle of the schematic with the "low mid high" labels if it is the EQ you are unhappy with.

Otherwise, just send it to me and I will properly dispose of it so you can get a fuzz that you do like... :icon_mrgreen:
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

Steben

You could salvage the knob circuit board and put in a circuit that uses bout the same pots.
A fuzz face style '69 or '70, or a 3-knob tonebender.
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

swal

I believe Brian Wampler has done some mods for this pedal, so maybe check out his site at http://www.indyguitarist.com
It comes stock with 1n4148 diodes so switching in 1n4001 or germs will make it thicker a less harsh
Also, in the middle of the schematic are some resistors that say hi mid lo beside them, changing these will adjust your tone.
But changing the overall gain and amount of fuzz is a fairly tall order, hopefully one of the resident geniuses here can help.
S J Waldner