A Different Way To Put A Circuit Into A Hammond 1590BB Enclosure

Started by Paul Marossy, August 30, 2008, 08:07:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Marossy

I built this Expresso Tone Machine for a friend at the Parker Guitars Forum. I'm waiting for the actual pots that I am going to use to arrive, but in the meantime, I took a few pictures because I thought it looked cool and because of the unusual layout requested by the owner - the cover being on top and the jacks all being at the top. When he receives it, he will polish it up and letter it. I also used transistor sockets so he can experiment with various transistors.   :icon_razz:

One quirk about this circuit is that if you don't use transistors with just the right amount of gain, it will sit there and oscillate like mad!  :icon_eek:
I think it sounds pretty close to the video, but I won't try to dial that in until I get the actual pots to be used installed in the circuit, and then I can fine tune things.   :icon_cool:

Here's some pics of it:

When the owner is done polishing it, this the kind of look he hopes to achieve:

Does anyone know if these RHO enclosures will polish up like this?!  ???

Franky

Yes, if you have the right sandpaper (at least 800, better 1000). If you look for something not "brushed" but "shining/chromey", try Belgom alu, it gives a look almost mirror to the enclosure..

Paul Marossy

Quote from: Franky on August 30, 2008, 08:14:44 AM
Yes, if you have the right sandpaper (at least 800, better 1000). If you look for something not "brushed" but "shining/chromey", try Belgom alu, it gives a look almost mirror to the enclosure..

Cool, thanks for the tip!

Franky

I didn't mention it, but you've got to wetsand it.. And to get the final brushed look, it's better to stick the paper on a flat surface, and move the box on the paper.. You can even use a piece of wood to avoid lateral movements (to force the enclosure to move on only one axis), to get really straight brushed lines.

Do you have a bigger version of the last picture? They're awesome!

Paul Marossy

Quote from: Franky on August 30, 2008, 08:23:13 AM
I didn't mention it, but you've got to wetsand it.. And to get the final brushed look, it's better to stick the paper on a flat surface, and move the box on the paper.. You can even use a piece of wood to avoid lateral movements (to force the enclosure to move on only one axis), to get really straight brushed lines.

Do you have a bigger version of the last picture? They're awesome!

Yeah, I can see how wet sanding would be involved in that process. Good tips on the brushed finish, too. That can be hard to get looking nice!

If you PM your email address, I can send you a bigger version of that picture.

Dragonfly

I was gonna mention Brians pedals (Farndurk) but I see you already know about them ! :)

Yep...you can get a regular old Hammond style enclosure pretty shiny. A light coat of clear on it afterwards will keep it that way.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: Dragonfly on August 30, 2008, 09:56:28 AM
I was gonna mention Brians pedals (Farndurk) but I see you already know about them ! :)

Yep...you can get a regular old Hammond style enclosure pretty shiny. A light coat of clear on it afterwards will keep it that way.

I actually didn't know about him until I was sent that picture. Those are rad pedals!  :o

Dragonfly

Quote from: Paul Marossy on August 30, 2008, 09:57:54 AM
Quote from: Dragonfly on August 30, 2008, 09:56:28 AM

I actually didn't know about him until I was sent that picture. Those are rad pedals!  :o

Brians a great guy, and has some pretty unique ideas. His pedals sound great.

arawn

I "Polished" a hammond box. I was happy with the results I got however it was nowhere near that shiny. Course I could have worked at it some more. Best bet is start with 400 grit bodywork sand paper and move up slowly to 2000 grit. Patience is hugely important and polishing compound after the fact!
"Consistency is the Hobgoblin of Small Minds!"

Gus Smalley clean boost, Whisker biscuit, Professor Tweed, Ruby w/bassman Mods, Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer, Zvex SHO, ROG Mayqueen, Fetzer Valve, ROG UNO, LPB1, Blue Magic

kurtlives

Looks great!

I have polished a few pedals, the results were pleasing. I could have got them wayy shinner but I just couldn't be bothered. I mean its a long boring tedious process.

I just buy them shinny enclosures from Small Bear now for the most part.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

PerroGrande

I can *almost* get to that level of shine -- but it is a LONG process and can be incredibly frustrating.

How does he letter the pedals?  Is that etched?

tcobretti

I bet a buffer and rubbing compound would work wonders on these boxes.

What is an Expresso Tone Machine?

Paul Marossy

Quote from: tcobretti on August 30, 2008, 09:32:29 PM
I bet a buffer and rubbing compound would work wonders on these boxes.

What is an Expresso Tone Machine?

I was thinking a buffer might make it really shiny, but that is also partly a function of the metal it's made of. These ROHS enclosures seem different than the older Hammond boxes I've used, they seem duller.

The Expresso Tone Machine is a tweaked version of a Harmonic Percolator.

tcobretti

Hmm.  How do you like the Percolator?  I really like nasty splattery fuzzes, and it seems NOT like that from the clips I've heard.

About the buffing, the whole wetsanding process reminds me of colorsanding a auto paint job, so I bet the buffer and rubbing compound will work.  I think I'm going to go try it now just to see!

tcobretti

Ok.  I just spent 15 mins in the garage with a 1590BB.  I sanded it with 220, then buffed it with very mild rubbing compound.  It turned out ok, but would have been much better if I'd had finer sandpaper and courser rubbing compound.  However, the buffer definitely works and I am quite certain that you could get a very nice smooth finish using one.  Much less work than wetsanding, and buffers are cheap!

ambulancevoice

Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

Paul Marossy

Quote from: tcobretti on August 30, 2008, 11:30:27 PM
Hmm.  How do you like the Percolator?  I really like nasty splattery fuzzes, and it seems NOT like that from the clips I've heard.

I need those pots I ordered to be in the circuit before I can really do much more with it. It sounds really nice in this video clip, though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOAlUb7CCmg

StephenGiles

They look great, but won't after stamping on them a few times - or are they made just to look at? :icon_biggrin:
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Paul Marossy

I didn't think that you could stamp those Hammond enclosures, they seem too brittle for that.  :icon_question: