A Different Way To Put A Circuit Into A Hammond 1590BB Enclosure

Started by Paul Marossy, August 30, 2008, 08:07:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gus

I would glue a piece of foam to the 'bottom" of the case lined up so it presses against the transistors to hold them in place.  I don't like sockets for effects that go on the road and the sockets here are upside down helping the transistors to fall out with vibration.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: Gus on August 31, 2008, 08:22:51 AM

I would glue a piece of foam to the 'bottom" of the case lined up so it presses against the transistors to hold them in place.  I don't like sockets for effects that go on the road and the sockets here are upside down helping the transistors to fall out with vibration.

I was already planning on doing something like that.

Ice-9

I don't know how i've never came across Farndurk's stuff before, but they look awesome, i like the upside down type build, does anyone have any pictures of an open one i would love to see the build quality from the inside
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

Ice-9

Thanks for posting those pic Dragonfly, Those look beautiful inside. I've checked out the sound clips on Brians site and they sound as good as they look.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

Paul Marossy

Well, his work looks to be very nice on the inside as well.  :icon_cool:

davent

A polish I've had success with on Hammond box chassis' is Mother's Mag and Aliminum Polish. Wet sanded to 600grit then polished with the Mother's. Clearcoated to protect the aluminum and decals. Have also used Conserver's Polish to protect the bare aluminum after polishing, at the very least makes it easy to wipe off finger marks.

Take care,
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Franky

Looks definitely good.. But anyway there is something I noticed (I gave it a try yesterday):

When you wetsand the alu up to 800/1000, it gets shiny and light-reflective, even more when you polish it, but the appliance of clear coat to protect from fingerprints, oxydation (dimming to dark alu), that layer of coat removes that shiny effect..

Paul Marossy

Well, the guy I am building this for is a machinist, I'm sure he can polish it up very nicely. All he wanted me to do was to build the circuit for him, and he is taking care of the cosmetics.  :icon_surprised:

Franky

DougH

The polishing looks very cool. :icon_wink:

I'd be careful about running wires between top & bottom like that though, as they will be vulnerable to breaking when changing the battery, etc. Maybe use a plug/socket on one of the boards to allow a wiring harness to be unplugged when the box is open (?). IIRC, this used to be a problem with some of the EH boxes.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

Paul Marossy

Quote from: DougH on September 02, 2008, 08:26:01 AM
The polishing looks very cool. :icon_wink:

I'd be careful about running wires between top & bottom like that though, as they will be vulnerable to breaking when changing the battery, etc. Maybe use a plug/socket on one of the boards to allow a wiring harness to be unplugged when the box is open (?). IIRC, this used to be a problem with some of the EH boxes.

No battery on this one, it's a DC jack only. After the owner polishes it up, it's going back in the enclosure and it shouldn't have to be opened up again after that. I would have done it a little differently if a battery was involved. :icon_wink:

smallbearelec

Quote from: davent on August 31, 2008, 08:55:46 PM
A polish I've had success with on Hammond box chassis' is Mother's Mag and Aliminum Polish.

YES! Please see the pics and the method in here. The section on finishiing the case starts on page 14:

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Projects/BearBoostPlus/BeginnerInst.pdf

As others have noted, a lot of work, but soooo cool-looking!

ambulancevoice

Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

Franky

Raaahhh Lovely!!

That's definitely what I'm looking for..  :icon_razz: :icon_razz:

Paul Marossy

Wow, those are pretty shiny. I'm thinking that's chrome plating. I don't think aluminum will polish up quite like that.

Franky

Hum, maybe with very fine sanding (1000/2000 or steel wool) and belgom alu, the look should be close..

Paul Marossy

Naz Nomad

Quote from: Paul Marossy on September 03, 2008, 09:47:46 AM
Wow, those are pretty shiny. I'm thinking that's chrome plating. I don't think aluminum will polish up quite like that.

it's entirely possible to get a mirror finish on aluminium, it's just damn hard work ... a friend of mine does his motorcycle parts with a buffer and jeweler's rouge, it looks like a chrome finish.
... riding a Lissajous curve to oblivion.

Paul Marossy