amz mosfet question

Started by jimbob, August 31, 2008, 11:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbob

I know this is a simple circuit but it has me stumped. I used all the correct values but used a 2n7000 (i originally used a bs170 but due to this issue I assumed that was the problem and used a 2n7000) but this sounds more like an overdrive pedal than a clean boost. It definetly does boost so no issue there. Anyways, I added a 100kb pot as in markm layout for bias but it only went from crackle to clear smooth overdrive. I actually lie the sound and may consider just leaving as is, but this is my second mosfet boost so i know it can get clean.

Anyone else with this issue?

Any thoughts. Would I need a bigger pot value to bias?
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

squidsquad

Look at data sheets for both types to make sure the drain, source & gate legs are the same.
I believe mosfets can vary...like jfets....so you may want to try a few of the same batch.

cpm

first, beware 2n7000 must be rotated to replace a BS170

by removing the gain pot at the source of the transistor i think it delivers the highest gain, you are just attenuating at the output with a 100k volume pot.
At that maximum level is likely to appear clipping, also more noise is being amplified (and mosfets tend to be noisy).

try placing a resistor (500ohm-1k) where the gain pot should be, to clean up the output.

demonstar

You know the gain pot is in series with the cap across the source resistor? Try putting a resistor in series with the cap to reduce gain. I can't see why that shouldn't reduce the gain so that the boost will remain clean. What do you think?
"If A is success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut"  Words of Albert Einstein

Renegadrian

Quote from: jimbob on August 31, 2008, 11:42:08 PM
I know this is a simple circuit but it has me stumped. I used all the correct values but used a 2n7000 (i originally used a bs170 but due to this issue I assumed that was the problem and used a 2n7000) but this sounds more like an overdrive pedal than a clean boost. It definetly does boost so no issue there. Anyways, I added a 100kb pot as in markm layout for bias but it only went from crackle to clear smooth overdrive. I actually lie the sound and may consider just leaving as is, but this is my second mosfet boost so i know it can get clean.

Anyone else with this issue?

Any thoughts. Would I need a bigger pot value to bias?

I built it too - If I remember well, this circuit seems a lot like the SHO - they both give me a cleanish boost but aren't clean at all at full gain!!! I used a BS170.
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

cpm

i would say that 2n7000 is cleaner than bs170

at least, they are less fizzy when overdriven