Birth of a Wah Enclosure... (Tons of Pics... 56K Warning!!!)

Started by MicFarlow77, September 02, 2008, 12:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MicFarlow77

Quote from: Auke Haarsma on September 19, 2008, 04:03:16 AM
Quote from: MicFarlow77 on September 04, 2008, 04:20:18 PM
I have some pics of the top process that I will try to post later tonight or tomorrow. If I don't, I think Auke is going to come get me....  ;D ;D ;D

Uhm, *ugh ugh*, I am sure I do not have to remind you that I do happen to know where you live...

;) :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

Any chance you could make us happy with some more pics?

Much appreciated!

OK OK OK..... Alright Already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Here are some pics of the process for getting on the tops.... pretty straight forward actually.... steps are now getting easier, but more time consuming...

First up... two tops... one has been put into the brake and bent to the correct angle.. the other has not... they are standing on edge...

But how do I know how far to bend these things so that they fit as tight as possible? Simple.. a level and a piece of wood cut to the angle of the bend...

Repeat the process a dozen times and you have a dozen tops...

Next, the tops get tack welded to the bottoms as shown here....

I tack weld these from the outside at this stage, because I need to be able to hold the tops on while I throw the heat to the enclosure for the brazing of the tops to the sides to add the extra strength in the top corner area. Doing it this way also avoids having tack welds on the inside of the enclosure.

Next up I'll post some of the inside before and after brazing and the cleaning up of the edges of the enclusre.... not sure when I'll post that... if I specify a time and run late, I am afraid Auke will hop the pond and come get me...  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I'll try not to take too long though....

Thanks all,

Mick

John Lyons

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Auke Haarsma

Great to see the pics Mick, THANKS!

If it is okay with you, I can post some pics when my 'package' has arrived (hopefully within 1 a 2 weeks).

Joe Hart

Ice-9

Smashing job your doing there Mick , I'm loking forward to seeing the next stage. Thanks for sharing this
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

neil411

Auke Haarsma

look what arrived in the mail today!

more (better) pics when I have had decent time to work with these fine pedals!

John Lyons

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Joe Hart

So, Mick, the wah enclosures are done or were those two special orders or something entirely different?
-Joe Hart

MicFarlow77

Quote from: Joe Hart on October 01, 2008, 03:17:38 PM
So, Mick, the wah enclosures are done or were those two special orders or something entirely different?
-Joe Hart

Not quite... I had started these for Auke before I started the rest of the run.... I am almost done with the rest of the wah's though... but my back went out middle of last week and I am not quite back to 100%.... it's been a rough last week or so....

I hope to get back to these tomorrow and get them knocked out...

The 4 small recessed I have had for months and Auke wanted to finish stuffing the box to maximize the shipping costs...  ;D ;D ;D

Thanks,

Mick

John Lyons

Listen here mick!
We don't want some sob story about your back, just get these finished ok!

Just kidding... :D :D :D :D :D :D I hope your are feeling better, Hard to do anything when your back hurts.
Makes you realize how lucky we are when all out parts work.

The Plexi sandwich on those wahs looks nice. Makes the top match the bottom aesthetically.
Even if you don't do the LED light up thingie you could put a piece of colored material (plastic etc) where the plexi would go
as a detail /accent to add visual appeal.

Get well.

john

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Branimir

Quote from: Auke Haarsma on October 01, 2008, 11:35:01 AM
more (better) pics when I have had decent time to work with these fine pedals!
I see two "legs" coming from the wah pedal, are you planing on building Tychobrache Parapedal?
Umor

Built: Fuzz Face, Small Stone, Trem Lune, Fet Muff, Big Muff (green), Fuxx Face, Son of Screamer, Rat, Rebote 2.5, Opamp Big Muff, EA Tremolo, Easyvibe, Axis Face Si

Auke Haarsma

Quote from: Branimir on October 01, 2008, 05:57:33 PM
I see two "legs" coming from the wah pedal, are you planing on building Tychobrache Parapedal?
Well, I was not aware of the Parapedal until a few minutes ago. That's an interesting beastie!

My original plan was (is?) to build a wah and a fuzz into this pedal. With seperate controls. But as always, I open for suggestions ;)

Auke Haarsma

Some more pics. I've put my other wah(shells) next to the two from Mick to show the actual size in comparison.

As you see, the sweep can be quite a bit bigger. This can be adjusted with the hardstops.

Here are some pics with pots, a rotary pot and a 3PDT switch.

And one trying to capture the beauty of the plexi. This is just daylight shining through it... it is really hard to capture the glow, but it is awesome!

John Lyons

Thanks for the pics Auke Nice to see how they stack up.

This is just a longshot but are there fingerprints on the lens of your camera?
A friend had the same problem and they looked the same with the fog effect.
Just checking  ;D

john

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Auke Haarsma

ha! that could very well be the case. These pics were taken with my cellphone. I'll see if I can clean the lens ;)

Paul Marossy