Wah and ringmod all in one - help plz

Started by solarplexus, September 07, 2008, 09:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solarplexus

Hi guys,

I have a nice wah I built from Paul Marossy site a while ago and I also have a Thing Modulator built in a seperate pedal.  What I want to do is to use the pot in the wah for both pedal (both boards would be in the wah shell) and be able to switch from wah to ringmod with a toggle switch and effect On/Off with the 3pdt.  I'm just wondering how the wiring would be and if it's doable have a pot doing 2 things... I believe I should get a dual pot?

Any help would be appreciated!

thanks

matt
DIY Poser.

mth5044

I guess a dual pot would work and then use a toggle to switch which effect is going to the out. Although I can never seem to find the correct dual wah pot.

Boogdish

if both effects use the same value pot, you could use a 3pdt toggle to switch the pot between the two different effects.  I suppose if you could find a 5pdt toggle you could have the switch also change which effect the signal is being routed to/from as well.

solarplexus

Is it possible to toggle the input from out of the 3pdt to the input jacks of each board and send the outs from the boards to the same 3pdt lug?
DIY Poser.

solarplexus

DIY Poser.

mth5044

I dont really understand what you are asking there. Out jacks of the boards?

solarplexus

by outs of the boards I mean the effects out, meaning each effects input (coming from the 3pdt lug) would be toggle with a switch and both effects out (coming from the board) would share the same lug on the 3pdt for effect out.  Those two effects would use the same pot.  Is that possible?
DIY Poser.

mth5044

cant you do this?

then the middle could be used for an led or something. I'm assuming you are using a dualgang pot. Plus you will need an on/off switch.

solarplexus

The thing is, I was wondering if it was possible to do it with a regular pot (no dualgang) and a spdt.  I could use another switch though as long as it it a toggle switch, not a stomp.

Any help??
DIY Poser.

Boogdish

could you link to the schematics for the ringmod and way that you are using for these?  If the pot in both of these situations is just a variable resistor to ground, then you could easily do it with a spdt toggle or use a 3pdt to switch ins and outs of the two effects  as well as what the pot is controlling..

3pdt wiring diagram if it is just a variable resistor to ground.
-----------------------------------------------------
Wah in        |   Wah Out     |        Wah Pot   |
Input           |  Output         |a leg of the pot |
Ringmod In  | Ringmod Out |  Ringmod Pot   |
----------------------------------------------------

Input and output coming from your 3pdt stomp switch which you're using to bypass the pedal.

solarplexus

DIY Poser.

solarplexus

DIY Poser.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I couldn't get the Colorsound to open.

But the pot in the Thingmodulator doesn't have an end to ground, so..
1. you will need a three pole switch, just to move the pot between the two units.
I guess you have the input signal permanently connected to both circuits.
Then you would need another switch to choose betweebnt eh outputs.
So now we are up to a FOUR pole stomp switch!!
(I guess you could have a pair of two pole switches & connect a bar across the top of both).

Now you can see why the synthesiser guys use control voltages - in a modular synth, you would hav ethe pedal pot giving say 0 to 10v, you would run that to botht the filter CV input and the ring modulator oscillator CV input a swell.
And then just choose between the two outputs - or, if you want, you could just blend the two!

As it happens, if you had a Frostwave Resonator (a filter with control voltage inputs) and a Frostwave Blue Ringer (a ring modulator with a CV input for the local oscillator) and a standard passive volume pedal with a 9v battery connected to teh input - you would be there. :icon_wink:

But I urge you to DIY & use the four pole switch approach.
Hell, use two THREE pole switches, then you can completely switch over the input as well.

mth5044

A 4DPT stomp switch is, as far as I know, nonexistant. So you could indeed drill an extra hole for another 3PDT like said abover and have two being pushed at the same time.

You could also being looking into relays, but I'm not totally sure if they would help in this situation or not. Good luck.

earthtonesaudio

I would suggest using LEDs and LDRs for both controls, a single gang pot, and a DPDT switch for selecting which effect. 

I don't know if you've already figured a way of bypassing the whole thing, but a cool trick Digitech does is to put one switch under the heel and the other under the toe of the rocker pedal. 

mth5044

Ah switch under the heal. That is a good idea.

solarplexus

That's what was missing... another switch to chose the output as well.  Good idea Thanks!  I might try the heel switch as well but will try the 2 switches first.

Thank you so much, I'll keep you guys posted on the results!

Matt
DIY Poser.

~arph

mth5044