Negative Impedance Converter

Started by Inventor, September 27, 2008, 11:27:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inventor

Hi, I am enjoying this forum, it's a good one.  I would like to ask your opinion of a circuit that I have imagineered and would like to build and test.  Is it new, is it interesting, do you think it will work or not, should I bother to buy  the parts and build it? 

The idea is very simple.  I smooshed together a pickup and a negative impedance converter in the hope of getting a (mostly) flat response from the pickup.  It works like this:  you actually place a duplicate pickup in the negative impedance converter itself, and the circuit then cancels out the source impedance of the pickup.  Here is a Wikipedia reference on negative impedance converters: 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_impedance_converter

In that circuit, you put the pickup as either R1 or R3.  I solved the R3 version on paper and sure enough, if you set R2 = 2 * R1, then you get an impedance cancellation leaving only a flat pickup response.  I'm not sure how it would work in practice but I think it might be worth building.  So what do you think of this idea?  Stoopid or kewl? 

snap

not stoopid at all.
reminds me of something.
forgot where.
something by STM?