New at runoffgroove.com: Mockman 2.0

Started by B Tremblay, October 03, 2008, 08:31:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B Tremblay

We've revisited and revised the Mockman circuit so you can travel back in time to the 1980s.  Check it out: http://runoffgroove.com/mm2.html

Four clips are available on the Sounds page: http://runoffgroove.com/salvo.html#mm2
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

Auke Haarsma

Always great to see something new on ROG!

I'm sure it'll sound killer  :icon_mrgreen:

dschwartz

at laaast, at laaassssttt!!!!

man i´d love to be one of them...
----------------------------------------------------------
Tubes are overrated!!

http://www.simplifieramp.com

bamera

runoffgroove.com is such a great site! Thank you for hours of enjoyment  :icon_biggrin:

ehofherr

runoffgroove is what got me really interested into this hobby, & this forum pushed it further.  I don't contribute much, as most of my experiments are geared at learning and understanding what's been done by others (@ one time or another). 

I appreciate all your hard work and look forward to playing around with this.
Need help with woodworking?  Just ask.

John Lyons

+1 I have gotten a lot out of the site and projects at ROG.
Brian is a pleasure to deal with in person as well (as much as email will convey that is...:)

thanks ROG folks!

john
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

asfastasdark

O, Runoffgroove! Totally keep on forgetting about this. I've been wanting to tell you this, but I never remembered to, but now that I'm here I will. OK: Both the Grace 3.0 and Big Daddy sound clips are dead links. I figured out that the Grace  sound clip was just a typo in the site source, because the clip is called grace.mp3, not grace3.mp3. Not sure about the name of Big Daddy's sound clip. But yeah, you might want to fix that. And that Mockman sounds awesome by the way!  ;D

B Tremblay

Quote from: asfastasdark on October 03, 2008, 04:33:00 PM
O, Runoffgroove! Totally keep on forgetting about this. I've been wanting to tell you this, but I never remembered to, but now that I'm here I will. OK: Both the Grace 3.0 and Big Daddy sound clips are dead links. I figured out that the Grace  sound clip was just a typo in the site source, because the clip is called grace.mp3, not grace3.mp3. Not sure about the name of Big Daddy's sound clip. But yeah, you might want to fix that. And that Mockman sounds awesome by the way!  ;D

Thanks for the heads-up, they're fixed now.  The original filenames had caps in them and since URLs are case-sensitive, they couldn't be found.  The grace.mp3 clip is of the first version of the circuit, so the Grace 3.0 does sound different.

Also, thank you to all who have responded so positively.  The 'Groove team sincerely appreciates your kind words!
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

jimbob

ALways look forward to a new ROG project!!!

Thanks!!!
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

arawn

sounds great, always love a new project to consider
"Consistency is the Hobgoblin of Small Minds!"

Gus Smalley clean boost, Whisker biscuit, Professor Tweed, Ruby w/bassman Mods, Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer, Zvex SHO, ROG Mayqueen, Fetzer Valve, ROG UNO, LPB1, Blue Magic

Apehouse

Very cool! The rockman was one of my first loves.
(i did find my self giggling when i recognized the Danzig tune in the samples, hehehe)
And thanks for all your hard work and input over the years!
-Greg
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music" -Aldous Huxley

asfastasdark

Quote from: B Tremblay on October 03, 2008, 05:25:56 PM
Quote from: asfastasdark on October 03, 2008, 04:33:00 PM

Thanks for the heads-up, they're fixed now.  The original filenames had caps in them and since URLs are case-sensitive, they couldn't be found.  The grace.mp3 clip is of the first version of the circuit, so the Grace 3.0 does sound different.

Cool, I always thought I was listening to the current Grace. The Grace 1.0 (or whatever it was) already sounded good, I'm gonna listen to the 3.0, can't wait...  :D Runoffgroove just has so many great projects.

OK, I just listened to Grace 3.0, and I have to say: What a great little overdrive! But I was especially amazed when I heard the Big Daddy, and what a biting little thing! I really like that overdrive, if I had a tube amp that would be my next project probably. But knowing how overdrives sound through a not-top-of-the-line SS...

oldrocker

Just breadboarded this updated version.  I love it.  I thought the first version was good too (I used the red LED's).  Anyway if you haven't tried it you should.  It really doesn't sound like my other distortion pedals I've built so far.  I looking into addung a gain pot to it.  Should the gain pot be in the same spot as the first Mockman version?  I'll have to experiement with it.  Thanks again to R.O.G. for another great pedal.

stm

Quote from: oldrocker on October 19, 2008, 07:58:35 AM
Just breadboarded this updated version.  I love it.  I thought the first version was good too (I used the red LED's).  Anyway if you haven't tried it you should.  It really doesn't sound like my other distortion pedals I've built so far.  I looking into addung a gain pot to it.  Should the gain pot be in the same spot as the first Mockman version?  I'll have to experiement with it.  Thanks again to R.O.G. for another great pedal.
Glad to hear you are enjoying the circuit.  Yes, this circuit being different from most distortions out there is what encouraged us to release it.
For gain control you could try a 100k pot in seres with the 10k input resistor, however, are you sure you want less gain in this?

oldrocker

Glad to hear you are enjoying the circuit.  Yes, this circuit being different from most distortions out there is what encouraged us to release it.
For gain control you could try a 100k pot in seres with the 10k input resistor, however, are you sure you want less gain in this?

Actually you're right I like the gain as is.  I'll think I'll build it as is and try it.  Thanks.

WGTP

http://gaussmarkov.net/layouts/redllama/redllama-schem.png

I couldn't help noticing that this looks like a Red LLama except for the op amps.  A LLamaMan or Red Mockman?    :icon_cool:
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

jimbob

Will there be a pcb layout anytime soon?
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

oldrocker

I just wanted to bump up this thread again to get more to try this build.  I just finished adding this on the same perfboard that the original circuit.  Both in the same box makes an a b comparison easier.  The new version sounds absolutely great.  I'm shocked there isn't more hype about this new Mockman version.  If you haven't tried it you need to.  You might be pleasantly surprised.  It sounds nothing like the first version. 
Thanks again R.O.G.

B Tremblay

That's really great to hear.  I'm very happy that you're enjoying the circuit so much!
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

dano12

I finally got around to breadboard the 2.0 version and I have to concur with oldrocker--this one is incredibly great.

No, I mean it, really really good.

I'm going to box one up this afternoon.

Thanks ROG!