Mojo Vibe - Neo-Vibe blind test

Started by yeeshkul, October 20, 2008, 03:57:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveB

Great comparisons!

Both sound good to me.
I find that Bodie has more of an "on/off" ( like amp vibrato) effect in conjunction with the phasing. I wonder how that is accomplished?
The Doyle sounds very thick & swirly.

Steve

joelap

I preferred Doyle.  So which ones were they???   :P
- witty sig -

Dai H.

Quote from: R.G. on October 20, 2008, 09:33:30 PM
I think it would be interesting to test two of each and do the same kind of voting.  :icon_eek:

:icon_biggrin:

if I understand the point here, it would be interesting to find if the perceived audio sample difference is unit to unit variance (as would be found in Shin-ei/Univox originals) or the cloner (DIYer or commercial) found some set of parameters that was found to be more subjectively pleasing.

also, I found this clip of what is supposed to be an original, and it sounds like it has more top compared to the clips, plus (the top end) seems nicer, so kind of wondered if the units used for the clips had more highs in person (i.e. some fidelity was lost in the recording ).

(skip to 1:43--when the demo starts) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDrY_eD6biU

pold

The good thing about the Mojo is that it colours your tone in a perfect way, adding more attack while picking, it sounds brighter and crispier than any other vibe pedals, that's why every clip with a Mojo sounds terrific, even with a crappy microphone, hear this on youtube for example.
http://uk.youtube.com/results?search_query=mojo+vibe&search_type=
But if you record some clips with some reverb and without any bluesy distortion you wouldn't find any difference between the Neovibe and the Mojo. I wish at GGG there was a Mojo Vibe project, especially now that they are hard to find.

yeeshkul

all right, here are the true identities of Bodie and Doyle :)

BODIE

DOYLE

My DIY Neo-Vibe clone with no mods at all, cheapo photocells and as you can see ... i forgot to put the shield on the bulb, hahaha
There is FF and RM in the box as well.

John Lyons

Seems like the NEO wins but unit to unit variance is still an issue.
Thanks for the suspense yeeshkul :icon_wink:

john

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

kierc

yeeshkul

To be honest i was really happy when i first compared MV with my unit. I enjoy that deep phasing ... actually when i was working on it i bothered quite a few people here with "how to improve the depth ...?". So again thanks to R.G., SteveB and Brad (RedHouse) :) for patience.

I recorded some FF->NV/MV(no more Bodie and Doyle) today and will add them soon. The results were very similar to the previous ones - MJ works better with distortion, the sound is clear especially on bass strings. NV is juicier and warmer, however distorted MV sounds better to my ears.

The last thing - when i listened carefully to the MV, i could hear a bit of the other sound - the "funny chorus" in the phasing. More than in case of NV, where there is none of it. You know what i mean - it was called vibrato on the original box i guess ...