Quote from: bassmasta17 on November 25, 2008, 08:02:54 PM
in that pic what is the V+?

http://www.diystompboxes.com/wiki/index.php?title=DIY_FAQ
1. Follow link
2. Hit ctl + f
3. type V+
3. Hit Enter

Quote from: bassmasta17 on November 25, 2008, 08:00:04 PM
does any one know how one would wire in a led light into this with out a 3pdt swicth?

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z305/owallgren/EHMuffFuzz2.jpg
Get you're machine working first... F**K casing and blinkenlicht and what else until you get sound from it.   ;)

btw. You do mind the cutmarks as hinted in this pic. (big bad black line)

ralley

To hook up an LED with a DPDT switch look up the Millenium bypass by R.G. Keen over at Geofex.  It does the job just fine using just a couple of components.

Rob.
Sender lawyers, guns and money
The sh*t has hit the fan.
   - Warren Zevon

bassmasta17

thanks im also going to use a DPDT swicth to swicth diodes from GE to SI. can i wire it so their is one led for SI and one for GE?
i play bass.
www.freekbass.com

Purple People Eater

Quote from: bassmasta17 on November 26, 2008, 10:21:21 AM
thanks im also going to use a DPDT swicth to swicth diodes from GE to SI. can i wire it so their is one led for SI and one for GE?

You're setting yourself up for failure by adding all these extras. I'm not saying you *will* fail, just that the chance becomes greater with every switch, LED, etc you add. This is your first build. It's easy to get excited and want to build the Ultra-Mega-Fuzz effect or whatever, but you need to get *simple* down first and have success at it.

Look at it this way : Go to the beginners forum. Notice that there is a step-by-step guide there. Then notice how many beginners are asking questions because their build isn't working.

They're having problems and they have a easy to follow guide. It's not that they're dumb. It's just that when dealing with electricity and parts their are so many variables that beginners aren't aware of/used to that they miss small details.

Practice by starting simple.

I'm not trying to be harsh. Just *real*. If you continue on the path you're on there's about a 95% chance your pedal won't work, and then you'll have to debug it. That leads to frustration, which leads to people leaving the hobby. None of us want that. We want you to succeed.

Just to hammer the point home : There's a company that sells kits to make clones of classic pedals. The instructions are extremely well written, the PCB has silkscreening,all parts are included, etc. The closest thing you can get to a paint by numbers scenario for pedals. Still, even with all that, people were having problems. So many problems in fact, that the company that sells the kits now *gives* away a free super easy to build kit with the first purchase so that beginners can practice on that first. That's money out of their pocket, but they feel that starting with something simple is worth it.

Again, practice by starting simple. Build an LPB, or the Beginners Project, or even the Muff Fuzz that you are talking about here. Just don't start adding a bunch of features until you have built the circuit successfully and get it working 100%.

Ben N

• SUPPORTER

tux320

Quote from: Purple People Eater on November 26, 2008, 11:47:10 AM

You're setting yourself up for failure by adding all these extras. I'm not saying you *will* fail, just that the chance becomes greater with every switch, LED, etc you add. This is your first build. It's easy to get excited and want to build the Ultra-Mega-Fuzz effect or whatever, but you need to get *simple* down first and have success at it.

Look at it this way : Go to the beginners forum. Notice that there is a step-by-step guide there. Then notice how many beginners are asking questions because their build isn't working.

They're having problems and they have a easy to follow guide. It's not that they're dumb. It's just that when dealing with electricity and parts their are so many variables that beginners aren't aware of/used to that they miss small details.

I'm not trying to be harsh. Just *real*. If you continue on the path you're on there's about a 95% chance your pedal won't work, and then you'll have to debug it. That leads to frustration, which leads to people leaving the hobby. None of us want that. We want you to succeed.

Just to hammer the point home : There's a company that sells kits to make clones of classic pedals. The instructions are extremely well written, the PCB has silkscreening,all parts are included, etc. The closest thing you can get to a paint by numbers scenario for pedals. Still, even with all that, people were having problems. So many problems in fact, that the company that sells the kits now *gives* away a free super easy to build kit with the first purchase so that beginners can practice on that first. That's money out of their pocket, but they feel that starting with something simple is worth it.

Again, practice by starting simple. Build an LPB, or the Beginners Project, or even the Muff Fuzz that you are talking about here. Just don't start adding a bunch of features until you have built the circuit successfully and get it working 100%.

Definitely listen to this guy

earthtonesaudio

Quote from: Ben N on November 24, 2008, 09:15:46 PM
If the diodes look like they are made of glass, they are probably Ge. If they are black with a band at one end, they are silicon, and should have the part number stamped on them. Whatever they are they should work for this, but different kinds sound different. One oftern sockets stuff like that (and ICs, and transistors, and some caps...) so you can swap different parts in and out and figure out what you like best.

The way to tell what kind of diodes you have is first to check the part number, and if there's no part number, to check the voltage drop with a meter.  If the forward voltage drop is between .3 and .6V, it's probably Ge, if it's between .5 and .8V, probably Si.  But not definitely.  Outward appearance is rarely helpful, except with LEDs.

Ben N

• SUPPORTER

bassmasta17

thanks for the info. i cant find a 3pdt swicth anyway and i was going to have no leds on the first one that i make. im going to make this a rack mountible unit because i have an empty rack space and a blank pannel to mount it to.the only swicthes will be the on/off and ge/si. the only pot will be volume.
i play bass.
www.freekbass.com

bassmasta17

Quote from: Purple People Eater on November 26, 2008, 11:47:10 AM

what was that company you where talking about?
i play bass.
www.freekbass.com

petemoore

Tested testjig ...
  Makes it easy to hook the pared down circuit board up and test it.
  No switch, verified jacks that are testclippable to, power supply = tasty battery...just the basic, stripped down version of whatever ya got, stuck in a hookup box [has lead-testclips from input jack tip, output jack tip and ground = both 1/4'' jacks mono sleeves. A cardboard box on top of the box the jacks are mounted in makes for a nice insulate testbed to set the circuit in question in.
  I like to clip the input jack testclip to the output jack testclip to verify that signal in/out function is happening, then just hook the ground/ input / and output clips on your circuit.
  Test for no shorting between Gnd. and V+ before applying the battery = 9vdc to it. Or...verify no shorts in whatever power supply scheme you're using before powering].
  click on the output jack tip with metal thing, [don't try this trick at high voltages] you should hear a click in the speaker, follow that through the volume control [turn it up, click on the VC input lug], follow back up through the circuit including one more component between output each time you apply the metal to another point in the signal path.
  Gain stages...should amplify.
  Buffer stages...should buffer [pass ~1:1 signal from buffer input to buffer output].
  Other stages...do what other stages do [passive tone control introduces passive losses=volume drop] and so on.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

bassmasta17

does any one know what kind of box this will fit into that will fit into a rack space?
i play bass.
www.freekbass.com

I bought an empty 1U size rack from Maplin here in the U.K. They're quite easily available but also quite expensive. Mine was about £25, but it's really well made. I've seen them on Ebay too. One question, if it's going into a rack, how're you gonna switch it on/off. Footswitch or toggle ??

Also, I have to agree with Purple People Eater. I'm far from an expert in pedal building, and the first pedal I built was the Uglyface. I had a torrid time trying to get it to work. I'm a stubborn bugger though, and it's sitting on my board now thanks to my own determination and a LOT of help from peeps on this forum. I didn't like the enclosure I originally housed it in, so I bought a new one and re-housed everything a month or so ago. I was amazed how shoddy my soldering looked compared to the circuits I've been building recently !! Anyway, the Uglyface is from this site:

http://www.geocities.com/tpe123/folkurban/fuzz/snippets.html

There's a VERY simple circuit about halfway down the page called 'The Rambler'. It's an octave up effect which might be interesting for bass. There's a layout for it here:

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/jpm83s-Gallery/album176/Vero+layouts/ramblerlayout8gx.gif.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

The parts are relatively inexpensive and it'll give you some practice with different components etc. I've built it and I like it, especially when I put a Muff or something in front of it.

bassmasta17

i will be using a toggle swicth. ive had the parts to build it for awhile but im still doing some research. i think it will be built by next weekend.
i play bass.
www.freekbass.com

bassmasta17

i play bass.
www.freekbass.com

Not at the moment but I'll try and sort something out in the next week. I've just started a new job so I'm a bit pressed for time. I'll see what I can do though. It's not very interesting on it's own to be perfectly honest with you, but it's a different matter if you use another distortion to drive it.

bassmasta17

i play bass.
www.freekbass.com

Here's two samples of the Rambler (not by me) which are pretty much the same noise as I'm getting out of it. I very rarely use it on it's own. I use it as an add-on for my Muff etc...

http://www.home-wrecker.com/rambler1.mp3
http://www.home-wrecker.com/rambler2.mp3

And here's the site

http://www.home-wrecker.com/salvo.html

bassmasta17

any one know what kind of box to put this in? what size?
i play bass.
www.freekbass.com